chocolateeclaire

Hello and I will be asking for help!!

Hi,

I am new to the rabbit section but a regular contributer to the chicken one having been new to keeping hens 3 years ago.

Recently I took a friends 2 bantams and she also talked me into taking their female neutered rabbit!

Thought it a bit mean to have one on her own so went to the rescue centre and brought home Duke, a 7 year old, as I thought he should spend his last year or so (not sure how long rabbits live) in a bit of comfort.

But not sure if I will ever be able to put them together because of the fighting and the sexual behaviour

Advice please :doh:

Thanks - Claire

Edited by Guest

I have kept neutered male and female rabbits together. However I introduced the male as a baby to my neutered female and she just seem to take him under her wing, grooming him etc. I then got him neutered too. They never fought but there was on occasion a bit of chasing around :roll: but nothing major.

In the past I have also introduced a baby female to a neutered male with the same response. (I got the female neutered at a later date)

I also think it is best to keep two rabbits together as they love company. It is so nice to see them grooming each other and snuggling up together. Perhaps neutering him would be the solution? or maybe he is too old to change his ways :?

Hope someone else can give you some advice about introducing older rabbits. Good luck.

Well I've never had to introduce bunnies to each other, but from what I know you'll need separate cages/ hutches for both of them. Put the cages near to each other for a couple of weeks, so that they can smell and see each other, then you can take them put them both into a piece of neutral territory (it should be quite small, so something like a bathroom is ideal). Keep a close eye on them and be prepared to break up fights, should they break out. Introducing a buck and a doe to each other is probably a lot easier than introducing doe/doe and definitely a lot easier than buck/buck. The bunnies are also both alone so that makes it easier than if you were introducing one rabbit to a whole group.

Good luck!