Nicola O

R I P Stan :-(

Stan made her final journey to the happy scratching ground this evening.

She came out of the cage just over two years ago and has a long and fab life, but the last few weeks has been troubled with peritonitis. It hadn't affected her too badly, but this morning she wouldn't come out of the coop and was still there when I got in from work - I don't think she had been out at all. She clearly hadn't eaten or drunk all day, but whilst gently syringing water into her I realised that she was blind !! I kept checking her vision but it was obvious that she couldn't see and when I placed her on the lawn with the others the two Skylines kept attacking her. She was clearly distressed so I made the decision to be PTS.

The vet said that she may have had a stoke, though her mobility was not affected as during one attack from the others ran accross the lawn - straight into the eglu run.

R I P little Stan, you will be missed.

Nicola

At least she had a happy 2 odd years with you :cry: I lost my last Ex-Batt Benni earlier in the week. Exactly the same symptoms as you. Even down to the not being able to see. The vet said that could have been stress blindness, but I don't think so as even when I had her out on the lawn by herself with me hand feeding her she couldn't peck straight :( but she definately wasn't stressed as she was chatting away to me and enjoying a cuddle. So sad. Must admit I cried as I walked out the vets, kindly my chicken friend neighbour drove me there so I had company.

Haven't even wanted to talk about it until I saw your post - but you made me want to send ((hugs)) as I know how you feel. Must change my signature strip now :(

Well done for giving all those Ex-Batts a second life anyway! :clap:

V x

Thanks everyone for your kind words

At least she had a happy 2 odd years with you :cry: I lost my last Ex-Batt Benni earlier in the week. Exactly the same symptoms as you. Even down to the not being able to see. The vet said that could have been stress blindness, but I don't think so as even when I had her out on the lawn by herself with me hand feeding her she couldn't peck straight :( but she definately wasn't stressed as she was chatting away to me and enjoying a cuddle. So sad. Must admit I cried as I walked out the vets, kindly my chicken friend neighbour drove me there so I had company.

Haven't even wanted to talk about it until I saw your post - but you made me want to send ((hugs)) as I know how you feel. Must change my signature strip now :(

Well done for giving all those Ex-Batts a second life anyway! :clap:

V x

((hugs)) to you, vicki. It's so sad when they go, all we can do is give them the best life possible, for as long as they have - and Stan had a great two years. Stan was top girl in her group and always had a close bond with Sylvie who was at the bottom, and protected her from meanie Glenda who would always try to bully her. Poor Sylvie has been picked on a bit today but hopefully they'll all settle soon.

My signature is soooo out of date, but with the reduction in characters I'll have to cut it down considerably if I make changes.

Nicola