The Raven

Flightless duck breeds

Hi, you might have seen my thread 'chickens or ducks?' I still haven't decided yet, and nor can i find any decent duck websites. I'm after a flightless breed,and have found some muscovies for sale near me - i'm not sure if i like them much, and am about to look them up and will probably find that they are great fliers so will sound like an idiot here but would like to know some flightless breeds. thanks.

Go for a heavier breed - Aylesbury, Cayuga (I had some of those :) ). However the bigger the duck the more mess they make and you'll need a house with a tall door for some. Some ducks can be noisy so that is also a consideration if you have close neighbours.

Look on the internet, read Katie Thears book, and you won't go far wrong.

In the end you'll go for the one that you like the look of the best and then you'll want more. :lol:

Hi yes your right muscovys are great flyers the breeds i have kept that are non flyers are khaki and dark campbells,indian runners,cherry valleys and indian runnerxkhakis my favourite are my indian runners if you get them from a young age you can get them very tame it is not true that indian runners dont like swimming mine have a big pond and they love it ducks are also very messy and the girls can be very loud and the drakes a pain in breeding season if you dont want to breed i would not bother with a drake and i always do everything in threes and that way if you happen to lose one you dont have a lonely bird leanne :)

Indian runner ducks are absolutely fantastic birds! A friend of mine keeps some on his small holding, they are great characters!

Owning one seems to open doors to a whole new section of society! The Indian Running Duck Association has got a great website full of helpful information. :)

I have one khaki Campbell and two Campbell cross aylesburys. None of them fly. And the Campbell has layed an egg every day since the 1st November! She is only 28 weeks old! Ducks are lovely to have around and the eggs are delicious. Good luck with your new ducks!

Can I make a passionate plea for Muscovies. I have had two as house pets, and they make the Very Best bird pets ever, won't fly away if you slightly trim one wing ; and they need no more water than sufficient to wash themselves. They are Much quieter than any other duck and no messier, but with So much more character. If you haven't seen a Muscovy giggle at some trick it has initiated, you haven't lived !! Good luck with your hunt. Max.