fluffy chick

What would you do?

Today I walked round a fishing pond. It is also a small caravan park so has a fair few people and kids walking / fishing / playing etc. They have a couple of horses loads of ducks (wild I think) and some chickens. It is 6 or so acres.

There are 3 hens and a cockerel in a small wooden arc. It is far too small for them in my opinion, just a couple of sq meters at most with reduced head height at most points. The cockerel was so tall it barely had space to turn round. The hens are clearly getting too much attention from the cockerel (maybe because he has nothing else to do) and all are bald and sore on the majority of their backs. :? They also seemed a bit 'crazed' when I went to them.

They did have food and water but this took most of their room. What I don't understand is why they were cooped up. My dad is often fishing there (and camps there too) and has never seen them out of the run. He is the most laid back man and even he says it's a bit cruel. I mean the area always has fishermen etc around so foxes are unlikely and they clearly aren't worried about the state of the grass etc.

They also have too little space for the horses but that's another matter. I was thinking of a 'helpful' letter explaining that it would cost no effort or money to give these birds a better life :?

Am I over stepping the mark? I can't stop thinking about those birds.

It sounds harsh but presumably there's a reason - foxes, fear that they'll get lost - why the owner doesn't let the hens out. While 2 square metres sounds small, it's more than a battery hen gets. If you think that a letter from you might achieve something then send it, but unfortunately my guess would be that the owner will ignore it. It sounds far from ideal, but you might get a very unpleasant response and it may not change anything.

Thanks. I'm not sure they are breaking any laws etc so not sure if the rspca could do anything but maybe a visit from them might spur them into action (or at least encourage them to rehome the animals). There is also a staffy puppy which spends it's whole life chained to a kennel, again with food and water so not exactly cruelty but not how I like to see dogs.

I don't think there is a reason. I probably should have said the old owners of the business always let the chickens out, they had a lovely time visiting the fishermen etc. The new owners (the children of the original owners) just never let them out :? They are the same 4 chickens so maybe explains why they were a bit crazy when I went over to them.

What really annoyed me was the 'free range' eggs they were selling on the way out :evil: which is very misleading to say the least! I think I'll write them a letter (minus name and address) it'll make me feel better. Plus you never know they may genuinely not know how to care for them. But yes they'll probably ignore it.

Sorry, but I don't think anonymous letters are ever justifiable. The likelihood is that they will ignore it - I would certainly throw any letter without a sender's name and address in the bin. They may well wonder who's sent it and cast blame on someone else - anonymous letters, even well-meaning ones, can cause a lot of damage.

If you are really concerned, then I'd try speaking to them. You could contact the RSPCA but if it's a case of standards rather than active cruelty they are unlikely to be able to do anything. I think that sometimes we have to accept that other people's standards are different from ours, and if there's no actual cruelty then there just isn't anything you can do it.

Sorry, but I don't think anonymous letters are ever justifiable. The likelihood is that they will ignore it - I would certainly throw any letter without a sender's name and address in the bin. They may well wonder who's sent it and cast blame on someone else - anonymous letters, even well-meaning ones, can cause a lot of damage.

If you are really concerned, then I'd try speaking to them. You could contact the RSPCA but if it's a case of standards rather than active cruelty they are unlikely to be able to do anything. I think that sometimes we have to accept that other people's standards are different from ours, and if there's no actual cruelty then there just isn't anything you can do it.

Agree with Olly. Sometimes standards are just different, and there could be reasons... We keep our chooks as pets, but not everyone does, and they do have access to food and water. Personally I would ask them about the free range eggs, but other than that not a lot to be achieved.... Anonymous letters are unlikely to achieve much.

I'd have to do something, i like the idea of asking about the free range eggs.

I reported my old next door neighbour (hideous, hideous family) to the RSPCA for neglecting their rottweiler. I tried talking to her first but got a load of abuse including threats to me, my house and car. After the RSPCA had been, I got a brick through my window and a solicitors letter for "harassment" but the dog got taken in to care so it was worth it.

Good luck :)

I'd have to do something, i like the idea of asking about the free range eggs.

I reported my old next door neighbour (hideous, hideous family) to the RSPCA for neglecting their rottweiler. I tried talking to her first but got a load of abuse including threats to me, my house and car. After the RSPCA had been, I got a brick through my window and a solicitors letter for "harassment" but the dog got taken in to care so it was worth it.

Good luck :)

:shock:

I'm glad they/you moved!! Would have scared me to death. At least the dog is in good hands now :D