Bramble

Anxious bunny sitter

Hello! i've been asked to look after my neighbour's bunny for a couple of weeks, I'm more than happy to do this, but just wondered if bunny enjoys being/wants to be cuddled? I can pick him up and he doesn't struggle once I'm holding him, but i know bunnies tend to go "floppy" when they are afraid (something to do with putting predators off), so don't know if he's happy or terrified :anxious: . Just wanted to know what to do for the best - spend cuddle time with him, or just leave him alone?

I think it depends on the individual rabbit. I have kept about 7 over the past 12 years or so. One I had did not even like being approached much. She was a Netherland Dwarf and was very territorial, growling and scratching if you went near her. It was particularly bad when she was in her hutch. Her mate died and I was worried about introducing a friend to be with her but when I eventually did she behaved in a really 'mothering' way towards the new arrival...so it was just humans she disliked! I have had lops since then and they have all been gentle souls. Generally rabbits don't like the initial lift up off the ground (I think this is because it is like being lifted by a predator) but once up they are happy to be stroked. It sounds like that is the case with the bunny you are to look after. I don't lift my present rabbit up as she is too big and I worried I may hurt her, it is best to be careful with their backs as they could twist and damage them. I just get down to her level and stroke her, she particularly likes being stroked on her face, particularly her cheeks. She also likes being brushed. She has one of her babies with her now, who is about 8 weeks old and he is regularly lifted but this can be done safely at present. How much handling does he get from his owners?

You will want one after looking after him :wink:

Don't !!! I already do want one!!!!!!!!!

He lives in a (tiny) little hutch and I'm ashamed to say I do feel a teeny bit sorry for him. He has a playpen i can let him out in when I'm around (he lives next door, so I can keep an eye on him when i'm not at work), so I have to pick him up to get him from his playpen back to his hutch and vice versa. I'm not sure how much handling he gets, I was asked to look after him as a bit of an emergency (his planned carers for the holiday were unavailable at the very last minute) so I didn't ask as many questions as I usually would have done :oops:

Yes, I feel a bit sorry for rabbits in hutches all day, also rabbits on their own :( They just love to lie out and enjoy any sun we get etc. I think if it was me I would lift him wrapped in a towel just incase he scrabbles a bit, they can be quite strong.(I am assuming he is an average sized bun). They can twist out your arms quite easily and he could then be off round the garden....I have spent ages in the past trying to get mine back!! If you lift him and he panics a bit try to cover his eyes as this calms them. Another trick (discovered by YS) if my girl gets out into the garden and won't come back is to use the hose and spray water just behind her. As she doesn't want to get wet she usually ends up back at her run door. Hopefully you will be ok and as long as you hold him firmly all should be well :D Oh another thing which you probably know is not to give him lettuce as a treat as it's not good for him :D

Thank you! I have a list of food he is allowed to have (greens etc) and I am being careful to make sure if it's not on that list he does NOT have it :shameonu:

I do feel sorry for him, but I guess this is the life he is used to, so I will just continue with his routine and hope for the best ... :|

I think rabbits that are cooped up alone in a tiny hutch with no friend is animal cruelty :/

If his hutch is tiny he could suffer a whole range of joint and movement problems due to the fact he might not be able to periscope etc, not to mention behavioural boredom issues.

It might be worth, if you are worried about the little bun, dropping a RWAF leaflet through their letterbox which explains how leaving a bunny alone and in a tiny hutch is cruel... :think:

Buns are v intelligent creatures and are sorely underestimated as pets, often sadly stuck in a hutch at the end of the garden with hardly any social interaction..! :(

How is the rabbit sitting going?

I've really enjoyed it - bunny and I have got ourselves into a good routine and hopefully we are both enjoying bunny snuggles! His owners will be back soon - I'll miss him ! (Have discovered he doesn't like broccoli though - can't say I blame him :vom: !)

Edited by Guest