jos

myxi

Hello,

I have 2 house rabbits and at the beginning of this week my netherland dwarf (the other is a lop) became ill and has now, despite being vaccinated, been diagnosed with Myxi

She is having baytril and eye drops. I just wondered if anyone else has had to nurse a rabbit through Myxi and what advice there might be to help us through.

Thanks,

Jos

I'm sorry to hear of that news :( I have never ad to nurse through Myxi so I'm afraid I can't help but I wish you the best of luck.

However, im a little annoyed! What is the point of spending money on these injections if it doesn't help? My friends bunny who was also vaccinated died of Myxi, I assumed that was because she lived in the middle of the countryside and rescued a wild hedgehog and the bunny caught it off that - but a house rabbit?!?!

Apparently the myxi vacination is not 100% proptection. My rabbits have access to a decking area during the day. So my little rabbit could have been bitten by a mosqito,or a passing cat who may have been in contact with a myxi wild rabbit could pass it on or I could have brought in a flea on my wellies.

Really hoping my other rabbit doesn't come down with it. :pray:

J

I have just been to the vets today with my rabbits for their myxi injections. Ours recommend they get them twice a year. It costs a lot to get that and the viral haemorragic (sp?) one. I have just paid over £80 for the injections for both rabbits. I would hate to think it was ineffective. I do hope your rabbit recovers quickly.

If it is confirmed myxi it is worth asking a few questions about the vaccine. If your rabbit was covered it is worth feeding back to the manufacturers of the vaccine so that they can at the very least be aware. The only way they can gauge how well their vaccine is working is by getting feedback. I do hope that your rabbit is well again soon.