scarlettohara

Jim Vyse for Garvo

I live in Wokingham, Berkshire, and I went to see Jim Vyse on Monday. Took me about an hour to get there. He was so friendly, knocked a bit off because I bought 5 bags and collected, and to top it off threw in a bag of Aubiose :D

I only went there because Rokers in Guildford did not have stock for over three weeks - only came back in stock yesterday :? Long way to go, but was worth the effort :D

I usually get my Garvo from Grain Harvesters in Wingham when I'm that way, but I'm not going there for a couple of weeks and supplies are low so will go to Dobbies in Gillingham and hope that they have the layers mash. I saw on the Jim Vyse website that they've stopped delivering Garvo due to high transport costs :(

I know that a couple of you on here used to get it delivered from him, so what are you going to do now or do you know of a nearer supplier? I live in Bexley. If you need any then let me know and I'll get some for you :D

Reikiranf, I noticed that about Jim last week aswell.

Was going to do The Dobbies round trip, not to bad for me as I can pop in and see my Nephew. But Wiggly Wiglers were doing free delivery last week so stock up on the pellets with Bokashi Bran added.

Mind you havent used that for a few years so hoping they will eat it as brought 4 sacks of it :roll:

Good idea though for the future to do a collection for us all, I know Rachel in Sidcup uses it as well, so will keep you all in mind for the next trip.

Reikiranf, I noticed that about Jim last week aswell.

Was going to do The Dobbies round trip, not to bad for me as I can pop in and see my Nephew. But Wiggly Wiglers were doing free delivery last week so stock up on the pellets with Bokashi Bran added.

Mind you havent used that for a few years so hoping they will eat it as brought 4 sacks of it :roll:

Good idea though for the future to do a collection for us all, I know Rachel in Sidcup uses it as well, so will keep you all in mind for the next trip.

I got the free delivery last week of pellets with bokashi bran added..a bonus and my girls really like it.

I haven't used that feed on my current girls and as they're doing so well on the Garvo I'm loathe to try anything else :oops: Even taking the fuel into account it's still cheaper to go and get it from Dobbies unless they have a huge mark up, I might ring & check.

Thanks Margaret, likewise if you need any then feel free to contact me, although I think that your Wiggly wigglers supply will keep your girls going for a while :D

If either of you would bear me in mind for future collections I would be really grateful...I'm in Crayford :D

Was surprised to see Garvo at my local Dobbies a couple of days ago...it was £12.29/20kg

My Dobbies sell it for that too, £2 more than the agriculture supplier i normally use which is further away. I prefer to support the agriculture supplier but have to weigh up the pros and cons of the travel, I try to buy enough bags to make the trip worthwhile. I also get cross at the Dobbies mark up.

Having said I was loathe to try something else I realised that I needed Hemcore too so went to Frogpool Manor and grabbed a bag of Fancy feeds layers mash :oops: I did phone Dobbies but the girl I spoke to wasn't very helpful so I didn't go there just incase I had a wasted journey. I suppose that a £2 mark up isn't too bad if it saves 50 odd miles of driving and the time involved.

NannyOgg, Margaret & Mummyhen I should be going to Wingham on 21st May, so pm me if you'd like me to get you some & let me know whether it's mash or pellets & how many you'd like :D

Hi Reikiranf,

I also use Garvo feed but get mine from Manor Farm in North Ockendon. I live by Dartford Heath and the journey only takes me about 25 mins each way, it's only 11 miles from me. You do have to time it with the tunnel/ bridge but it's quicker and easier than going to Dobbies.

I don't know if this will save you some time?

Thanks for that info Wiggle39, it's always good to have a choice, I don't mind going to Wingham if I'm going that way anyway to visit friends or family, but I wouldn't go all that way purely to get feed.

I live in Blackfen so only a few minutes from Dartford Heath anyway, so a trip over the water would be combined with a Costco/Ikea visit :D I would have gone to Dobbies in Gillingham so it's not too far.

I think a mini meet would be a good idea. I'm affectionately known as 'The Mad chicken woman' amongst friends as they just don't get chickens and tend to glaze over when something exciting happens with my hens that I just can't keep to myself. So it would be nice to meet some like minded folk.

As for the Ikea/ Garvo buying combo it's exactly what I do. I think the Costa option sounds good too. :)

Count me in. I live in Crawley but work in Bexleyheath and am thinking of trying Bokashi myself (my girls stink at the mo :vom: ) as I'm sorting them out a luvverly Woodchip run next week.

I'm on annual leave next week and have to visit family in Harlow, Essex and need to get to Lakeside so may be able to do a big stock up if anyone's interested. I'll keep in touch & post on here (or PM me if interested).