Roobaloo

The Price of Pekins...?

I'm dealing with my Morehens disease through my Mum....!!

She is looking for a couple of bantams. She currently has 5 hens...three are hybrids and have one pen, the other two are Polands.

She did have three Polands, one of which I hand-reared (Pip) When Pip was still around, she had a very calming influence on the other two (who are both very scatty/nervous...we think they weren't handled much as the previous owner had two small children) After Pip died, Mum made them a huge new pen so they could have ample space without the risk of getting hurt (Pip was killed by her dog after she got out the house whilst the hens were free-ranging :'( )

I suggested she get a couple more hens to go with or next to the Polands. Something that doesn't have the restricted vision, so the Polands don't feel they need to be "on guard" so much. I suggested Pekins as they tend to be calm, fairly bold...and they're small, so if they do go with the Polands, there's less risk of pecking their poms. Does that sound reasonable?

Well, we visited a poultry centre yesterday and were told that there were only two available...one beautiful buff and one adorable little white. Mum fell in love with the buff but didn't want the white (her hybrids are white and she's convinced she'll keep scaring herself thinking one is in the wrong enclosure! :doh::lol: )

The price per bird was £45. They said there was a very high demand for pekins at the moment and a millefleur would be £10 more. Is this an average price? If so, we'll wait and see if any of their reserved birds become available. If not, we'll shop around!

Can anyone recommend a place to buy pekins? (I'm based in Beds, she's in Huntingdon...)

Thanks! :D

Crikey! :shock: The sellers must be looking to retire to the Bahamas! :lol:

There certainly does seem to be some demand for Pekins at the moment and at the moment feed prices are so high that its costing more to raise chooks however for a relatively quick maturing bird like a Pekin thats an awful lot of money unless the seller is a renowned show breeder

I just called them to cancel the reservation on the Buff...and the person I spoke to said that the price we'd been quoted should've been for the millefleur, the Buff is cheaper. And that they have other colours available...

I had originally told Mum that I was expecting £30-£35 per hen maximum...so as that was the budget she had in mind, she's happy to go back and look again. I'll tell her it's still quite high...but I have a feeling that she's got her heart set on the buff now! :roll:

However for a relatively quick maturing bird like a Pekin thats an awful lot of money unless the seller is a renowned show breeder

I think that's the problem, when Mum exclaimed at the price...he started defending it by rattling off prices he'd seen at shows, including the price of show standard TNN's...hardly your mainstream garden breed! Which is why I told her to reserve them so she could go away and think about it and not feel pressured into it or convinced they were a bargain...

Though, he also said that they've been reserving birds weeks before they're ready for sale...so I guess it's supply and demand. :think:

It is supply and demand IF you dont know your options

There are plenty of Pekin breeders out there, posting a wanted ad on Practical Poultry forum would be a good idea

TNNs are a rare breed so worth a hefty price tag in general and I have paid £80 for a chook from a top breeder before but that was an investment for my show breeding

But there is no excuse regarding Pekins, they are easily bred and can be sexed early which keeps rearing costs down

I've been at a fair few shows where Pekins have been sold and I guess the average price has been £15-£25 per bird - there are always people that look to make more but in general no one wants to take the birds home again so doesnt place a massively ambitious price tag on them.

Maybe take your mum out to the National show for a day in November and take a look at what they have in their sale pens :D

I agree, top price £25, unless they are very very special tip top prize winning stock, someone is profiteering. I would have a day out and go somewhere with more choice and fairer prices. My girls were £15 and £10, I have home grown my own since!

Edited by Guest

Thanks everyone!

Wow!! I'm amazed they've sold as many as they have at that price!!! They had three coops, about 20 pekins in total...and all were reserved! I've been 3 times before and it's been the same story!

I definitely think I'll take Mum to the National show!! Great idea!! :D

Thanks everyone!

Wow!! I'm amazed they've sold as many as they have at that price!!! They had three coops, about 20 pekins in total...and all were reserved! I've been 3 times before and it's been the same story!

Me too :think: Perhaps they lay gold eggs :lol::lol:

...if they do, I'm buying the next 20 of 'em!! :wink: