Emily and Nick

Stopped laying

Both my two hybrid chickens (one marran, one speckledy) have stopped laying. I don't think I've had a single egg in at least a week. Other than that they seem to be behaving exactly the same although my speckledy recently malted. During the summer they were laying every day.

I know its got colder and darker but they laid regularly all through the last two winters.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Annie and Betty my ex-broiler breeder barn hens stopped laying within days of each other about a month ago and started to moult. I'd say they are 2 years old and wonder how long they go off lay for? Amber my 3 year old ex-batt continues to lay small eggs nearly every day even though she has also gne through a moult.

Madchick

I have a similar thing. Two of my three hybrids stopped laying in September apart from an occasional softie. The third hybrid is still laying an egg most days. I have decided its their age having wormed them given lots of grit and adding supplement to their water. I will have to start buying eggs! I assume I am unlikley to get anymore eggs from my non layers now? What do others think? I have been weighing up pros and cons of introducing more chicks to get enough eggs to not have to buy any against space and garden wear and tear issues. Three are messy around the garden 5 would wreck it.

Whats the likely lifespan of a hybrid?

I found my hybrids only laid regularly during their first winter, for my second group of hybrids this will be their second winter and they are laying less now.

My ex batt Agnes who has laid over the summer has now stopped, I don't mind as it will give her a rest, she had been laying some softies but I hope she will lay again in the spring.

Chrissie

8 chickens: 2 eggs - has been the situation every day here for the past month...Only my hybrids are even thinking about laying...The assorted bantams are moulting in a very half-hearted way, which I suspect means they will carry on for months shedding a feather or three here and there but never really doing anything dramatic, and my chicken-resistant family are saying all sorts of rude things about girls not earning their keep etc etc.

I think the contrast is specially stark because last winter I had just 3 hybrids, and they kept on laying come what may all through the winter, whereas this year we went overnight from 7 or 8 eggs a day to 2 if we're lucky.

I don't mind.

Love my girls for themselves - the eggs are just a bonus...but it's bad PR :roll:

Last winter all 3 of my GNR laid daily - lost one at Easter, another in the summer - now my last Omlet girl has stopped having been a prolific layer sob. My newer girl got this summer is still laying - i am thinking og getting 1 or 2 more - is winter a bad time to get girls? theye would be GNR /bitsa's .