squiffs Posted October 22, 2011 Share Posted October 22, 2011 I'm going to have my first crack at a christmas cake this year - I'm not a huge fan of brandy flavour, so I was wondering if I could substitute it for cointreau... I just thought a spiced orange cake would be a nice change and also mean I could enjoy it too. Would it work? What other spirits could I use to substitute the brandy? I'm open to suggestions! I'm somewhat of a traditionalist so I won't be starting to make the cake until Stir Up Sunday (20th November this year!) - the recipe says it needs 3 weeks to mature (though obviously any longer is a bonus), is there any negative point to using a spirit other than brandy during this maturing process? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted October 22, 2011 Share Posted October 22, 2011 I put in whatever is to hand! Go for it, I'm sure cointreau would be lovely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted October 22, 2011 Share Posted October 22, 2011 We bought some Morgan's spiced rum, today and it is lovely softer in flavour than brandy but with Christmassy flavours Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 23, 2011 Share Posted October 23, 2011 I use the Morgans Spiced Rum too - it really tastes & smells like Christmas Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted October 23, 2011 Share Posted October 23, 2011 I'm somewhat of a traditionalist so I won't be starting to make the cake until Stir Up Sunday (20th November this year!) - the recipe says it needs 3 weeks to mature (though obviously any longer is a bonus), is there any negative point to using a spirit other than brandy during this maturing process? I have always tried to made my cake in October. I really think it needs the time to mature. I once made it in November and it just wasn't as good. So I would recommend you make it asap (although I suppose all recipes are different ) Forgive me if I am wrong but I think the "stir up" is when the Christmas pudding is made I have never made a pudding as it is only me who likes it and would be me who would eat it all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted October 23, 2011 Share Posted October 23, 2011 I used Cointreau for my niece's wedding cake and added cranberries, apricots and prunes to the fruit mix. I soaked the fruit for 2-3 days in Cointreau before baking, then fed it a few times afterwards. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
squiffs Posted October 23, 2011 Author Share Posted October 23, 2011 Stir up sunday is for church goers, the day when the pudding is made, yes, though I'm not a church goer, I just like to have a date by when I need to have started anything christmas related the recipe says 3 weeks is enough so I'm sure that nearly 5 weeks will be plenty of time for it. I work full time and have 2 Open University courses running at the same time so late november is the earliest I have time to spare anyway, and with a 3 week recipe I'm sure the last sunday before advent will always be ample time for it to be nice and mature. Thanks patricia that sounds delicious! Now to buy some (not so?) Miniatures Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted October 23, 2011 Share Posted October 23, 2011 Stir up sunday is for church goers, the day when the pudding is made, yes, though I'm not a church goer, I just like to have a date by when I need to have started anything christmas related the recipe says 3 weeks is enough so I'm sure that nearly 5 weeks will be plenty of time for it. I work full time and have 2 Open University courses running at the same time so late november is the earliest I have time to spare anyway, and with a 3 week recipe I'm sure the last sunday before advent will always be ample time for it to be nice and mature. Wow you sound so busy Hope all the work goes smoothly and you can have time to enjoy making your cake at the end of November Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
squiffs Posted October 23, 2011 Author Share Posted October 23, 2011 Stir up sunday is for church goers, the day when the pudding is made, yes, though I'm not a church goer, I just like to have a date by when I need to have started anything christmas related the recipe says 3 weeks is enough so I'm sure that nearly 5 weeks will be plenty of time for it. I work full time and have 2 Open University courses running at the same time so late november is the earliest I have time to spare anyway, and with a 3 week recipe I'm sure the last sunday before advent will always be ample time for it to be nice and mature. Wow you sound so busy Hope all the work goes smoothly and you can have time to enjoy making your cake at the end of November Busy isn't the word! Hahahaha. Thanks, it's all a work in progress, time management is now becoming my hobby Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted October 23, 2011 Share Posted October 23, 2011 Rum or brandy works well in Christmas cake or puddings. Don't forget to soak the fruit for at least 12 hours. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted October 25, 2011 Share Posted October 25, 2011 The Morgans Spiced rum would be delicious in a fruit cake I made a cake a few years ago, probably the boiled fruit one on here, and I used Galliano both for the soaked fruit and for drizzling over the top once it had cooled. It was very very nice. Mildy orangy flavour and very moist Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted October 26, 2011 Share Posted October 26, 2011 The spiced rum is on offer in Tesco at the moment,& they have half bottles too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted October 26, 2011 Share Posted October 26, 2011 Sherry works too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...