Mikeymancs

Noisy hens..... Very noisy!

Hello,

question for you all....

The girls have recently started making a whole load of noise, This morning at 6:15 they woke me up, We have double glazing and it was still incredibly loud!

If the noise carries on like this every morning it's ny a matter of time before he neighbours moan.

Is this noise to do with the light? The chicken house itself has a window about 6 inches square in it, I am thinking the light is getting in and thus causing all the noise! They wanna get out etc.

If I block out the light as much as possible, will this keep them quiet?

They have also started making demanding noises when they are in the WIR, they want to get into the garden. I think they are trying to train me!

If you show weakness, they will always exploit it! :lol:

Covering the window may quieten them down for a bit. Though we've put the clocks back, their body clocks tell them it's really 7.15, but as the mornings get later towards winter, it won't be such a problem.

Could it be egg laying announcements you're hearing? Or are they clamouring to be let out?

If you show weakness, they will always exploit it! :lol:

Covering the window may quieten them down for a bit. Though we've put the clocks back, their body clocks tell them it's really 7.15, but as the mornings get later towards winter, it won't be such a problem.

Could it be egg laying announcements you're hearing? Or are they clamouring to be let out?

I agree with this, my girls made such a racket yesterday morning that I was concerned about the neighbours..It had to be a Sunday when I knew my neigbours would be lieing in. :roll:

As for making a noise to get out of the WIR, when mine see me at the kitchen window they all come into the corner and try to get through the wire ,all squashed on top of one another..a real racket and comical.

They have trained me I am afraid . I have at one stage left the kitchen light off and ducked ,especcially if I am off out.

:lol:

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies.

No fox that I am aware of. We have been here six years and the garden is totally enclosed and no spaces for a fox to get in. Not seen any or heard of any either from the neighbours.

I don't think they like being in a confined space.... But the thing is the WIR they have now got is 6ft x 9ft by 6ft high. It has a roof on to keep them dry. They also have perches and a table in the run, along with hanging peck block, etc.

The noise is awful, and seems to get worse every day, its a demanding noise and if it carries on I can see complaints coming my way.

I will try blacking the window out with some plywood.

They gently cooo in the day which is a nice noise, but this daily alarm clock is disturbing me. I can really see me having to give them away if it doesn't get resolved. This would be a bit upset, as have got attached to them and also spent quite a lot of money on the run etc.

Are chickens intelligent enough to know if they squark I come running! Or is it more habitual?

Thanks

I had another thought. :idea:

If they are in a walk in run, have you thought of leaving the coop door open so they can let themselves out when they want? I do that with my girls all year round (except in the very worst weather) and they are fine. :D

You are probably far more aware of the noise than your neighbours. Try not to worry.

Mine have a 12ft x 6ft x 6ft covered and logs tree stumps etc.,..They are just spoilt , but I find although they are devious if I ignore them they do calm down .For example it has been raining over night and it is wet out so I am waiting until at least lunchtime to let them out .They are quiet now but a while ago they were calling "Let me out of here" :roll:

As for early morning I think it is just the light .try leaving the door open , I don't but I know a lot that do.I go down about 7 and let them out.

It is my day off work so they usually don't get let out till lunchtime most days.

Hi

I know how you are feeling about the noise. I have been through it too with my girls. In my case its always young hens that are noisy and when they are older they settle down. (I call it the teenage stage)

I must say that I was mortified when mine kept sqwarking in the early morning until a neighbour also got chickens.

When they started to get noisy I couldnt really hear them. I was surprised how muted they sounded. I had to go outside to hear them as I was interested that someone else had chickens. It took me a while to find who had them and they were only over the fence :lol:

Maybe we are finely tuned into them making any noise.

I found that to keep the noise down in the morning I needed to keep the light out, so I threw an old blanket over the coop. Also I faced the door away from the rising sun. It did work for me.

Hope this helps :)

There are some really funny comments on here and unfortunately I can associate with most of them. When our girls are in their run and see me at the kitchen window they go mental until I give in and let them out. I usually give in just to give the neighbours a bit of piece but then they trash the garden. Weekend lie inns? Not a chance the squarking starts at 7am when I wander into te garden in my wellies and dressing gown (in all weathers) and it doesn't stop there as the squarking continues until I've done them their breakfast. They've got me well trained :(

I had the same problem with my ex-batts. I thought my neighbours would complain. As soon as they were let out of the coop in the morning they started making loads of noise and kept it up pretty much all day. I have now moved the cube to the other side of the garden and have turned it around so it is facing away from the house. I have also put on the wind sheilds to the back of the run so they cannot see me as much and this seems to have worked. It seems that as soon as they knew I was around to let them out they started. Now I have to be brutal and just ignore them and they have calmed down and they don't make any noise unless I am saying hello. They don't even make much noise except the odd cluck even when they are out free ranging.

Hooorrrahhhh...

No noise!

I pinned some stiff thick cardboard over the coop window, and also put a heavy blanket over the top.... Not a squeak until I let them out this morning at 7:15

So, it was certainly the light getting in causing the problems.

Thanks everyone for the help!

brilliant news :D

I am at home later than usual as i have a doc appointment in the next hour. The girls are used to seeing me leave at 7.30 so now they are throwing a paddy as they have seen me through the kitchen window demanding to be let out of the run. I have come in the livingroom now out the way :oops: