redcharlie43

Dust Baths

Hello everyone. As quite a newbie to the forums can I pick all your brains on dust baths please? :think: Up until the rain this weekend my girls were using their fenced off areas to dust bath which was fine. These are now mud pits so I want to put a dust bath into their run this weekend as they have to be kept in this week due to work commitments. What would you recommend I use. I have got a dust bath from Omlet but it seems quite small and shallow and knowing my girls they will just kick all the wood chippings from the run into it. Does anyone use a flowerpot? I quite like the idea of this as its quite high and will give them something to jump up to.

Also what do you recommend goes in the dust bath?

Thanks you for any ideas. :D

(cube green)GNRGNR(Bluebelle)(white chicken)

My 3 girls have just a plastic deep square storage box .I just keep it filled with any dry soil or old potting compost.They love it as when I fill it up there are usually a few worms etc., in there.I also sprinkle red mite pwder or sanatizing powder on the top...At the moment the place they like when they FR looks like a mud bath. :lol:

Ours have a grow bag tray from the garden centre which is quite long and a good depth.

We used a bag of top soil and a little play sand left over from our son's sandpit in the summer, I hasn't to add he hadn't played in it, it was what was left in the bag after we filled the pit :lol:

They like it.....although they've now taken to congregating at the end of the garden and have made a little dust bath up there!

I use an old plastic dog bed which sits under the cube. I 1/4 fill it with a mixture of soil/sand and sometimes woodash. Although it does take up some floor space cause it has rigid sides it also doubles up as a perch.

008-Copy-2-1.jpg

:wall: i recently chucked one of them away becuase i didnt need it anymore, ggrrrrr wish i had kept the thing now :doh::vom:

Thanks, I don't have dogs but will hunt around the house for something similar. My OH says I have a storage obsession so I should be able to find something suitable. I think I will have to dry some soil out before I add it to the dust bath. I have some dry sand so will put that in too with some diatom. I think I will try the flower pot but if the girls don't like it I will try a shallow trug. :D

What a great piccy really made me chuclke,I think chickens arent into new things they love the "grungey" look stuff mine hate it when I rake thier run all nice neat and level they look at me like I have ruined all their fun but between the five of them it looks like the craterville again. :roll:

Yeah! At last the dust bath has been used :D I have been at work all this week and have been out every morning at dawn and every night with my torch to make sure the chicks are safely in bed. They have not used the flower pot up until last night but today I noticed auboise all around the flower pot rim. It looks like they have been in the dust bath! :wink: