Bunnyish

Mice!!!!

Traps, poison and making your feed more secure.

If your feed is in a plastic dustbin, it would be better off in a metal one. And bungee the lid down so the mice can't squeeze their way in.

I discovered a rat tunnel under my compost bin today (it's stood on weldmesh so thankfully the rats can't actually get into the compost bin) so have had to go out and buy poison and a bait box... :roll:

My cat enjoys chasing mice INTO the house instead of keeping them out...but have never trapped or poisoned them. I've never even deliberately hurt flies, and hate those who do, but I'm not causing an argument now. As someone said above, ultrasonic repellants are good, but i usually scare them out of their hiding place and throw a box on top of them :D easier than you'd think, and a kiddies fishing net (just the little plastic ones) kept nearby in case you miss is ok too. I couldn't bring myself to hurt anything unless it was in loads of pain.

We've got 4 chickens in a WIR on our allotment, I noticed some small burrows yesterday around the run, the opening was small (about the size of a 50p piece) I think they are mice holes, as not sure anything else could fit. The run is pretty secure, with concrete slabs, and an anti-dig skirt around the bottom (dirt in the middle), and weldmesh all around. Although I'm sure the tiny mice can fit in somewhere. :roll:

The pellets are left out all the time, (in a feeder like the Blenham one sold on here) toehr than eating the food, will the mice cause any other issues?

We've got 4 chickens in a WIR on our allotment, I noticed some small burrows yesterday around the run, the opening was small (about the size of a 50p piece) I think they are mice holes, as not sure anything else could fit. The run is pretty secure, with concrete slabs, and an anti-dig skirt around the bottom (dirt in the middle), and weldmesh all around. Although I'm sure the tiny mice can fit in somewhere. :roll:

The pellets are left out all the time, (in a feeder like the Blenham one sold on here) toehr than eating the food, will the mice cause any other issues?

WIth a steady supply of food, they will breed like mad and will eat not only the chickens food, but also the produce on your allotment. Courgettes (or marrows when I forget about them!) seem a favourate to mice in our garden, but anything they can get their little teeth into! And there is of course desease. Not as bad as rats, but none the less, not what you want all over your salad and veg! Snap traps and Marsbars have worked for us - quick and humane.

We've got loads of little field mice in our garden, occasionally they get into the chicken run to nick a few pellets! The cat keeps bringing them indoors, and if he drops them they disappear under the furniture. I try to catch them in humane traps and let them go outside. I feel sorry for them, they're sweet little things and only trying to survive after all.

The cat lost one in the house recently and we knew it went under the fridge, but we couldn't trap it. The cat was going mad, sniffing round the fridge for days, so we knew it was still there. Eventually hubby took the back off the fridge and found a comfy little nest next to the nice warm motor, lined with carpet fluff and a little stash of cat biscuits!

We managed to catch it in a humane trap the next morning and let it go :wink:

Also a little warning - I don't want to worry anyone but sometimes baby rats can be mistaken for mice...they do look similar at an early stage. Their droppings are spindle shaped...so should be distinctive.

I have a problem with rats...so I am sprinking curry powder in the areas they are seen, flooding any tunnels and generally being vigilant about food. It's tough though...they are around, breeding like mad...