Goosey Lucy

Which Sewing Machine: Decision Made :-)

I need some advice please, apologies for the long post.

OH has suggested I have a new sewing machine for Chirstmas :D

Up until now I have used an ancient Singer and an Aldi cheapy. Both have done what I needed them to but are rather utilitarian. I can sew in straight lines, round corners and in reverse. I'm finding threading the needle tricky as my eyes are getting a bit dodgy. My Aldi machine is fine with simple things but struggles with anything other than cotton or light needlecord fabrics.

My local shop has offers on various different Janome machines, all the way from very simple to an all singing, all dancing ex-display sewing, quilting and embroidery machine (Janome Memory Craft 9700 - much reduced in price as it is ex-display.) They don't run classes but there is a lady who will spend time with me and give help and assistance as necessary.

OH has said I can have whichever machine I want. :shock::clap::anxious:

I don't really know or understand all of the different functions on the machines but am going to go and have a session on them next week. But I don't want to appear a total numpty :oops:

I want to be able to use it for dressmaking, curtain making, etc. I also want to learn how to quilt, I'm not sure if machine embroidery is my sort of thing but am I missing the point? I have a lovely chicken cushion from John Lewis which has patterened chickens sewn onto the plain background fabric, can I do something like that with a standard machine or do I need one which is more advanced?

I'm thinking maybe the DXL603 would be a good, simpler machine to choose, what do you all think? At the moment it comes with a free quilting pack. OH wants me to have a machine that will last me for the forseeable future rather than one I will want to upgrade in a few more years when I've become more experienced.

What would you do? It is a dilemma but a wonderful position to be in but I don't want to spend money on something I won't use.

Edited by Guest

Wow, lucky you! there are a few threads in here about sewing machines, if you do a search. I've just received a JL cheapy (£99) and I couldn't be more thrilled, but it's the first ever electric machine I have owned so it's quite a step up for me; you'll get better advice from more experienced machine owners.

There's a really useful guide here which might answer some of your questions.

Hi , I have just got a Janome DXL 603 and I am thrilled with it. Like you I was wanting to learn quilting and this came with all the quilting bits included "free" it also had £50 off :clap: I knew I was unlikely to use fancy stitches so I like that this has a few to play with with and not pay for loads I would never likely use. I love the fact it has a needle threader and 1 step button hole. Although the stitch length and tension are selected automatically when you choose a stitch it is possible to override it. Do let me know if you discover any hidden tricks this machine can do!!

Happy hunting

Thank you for your thoughts :)

Olly: I do feel very lucky indeed. I remember being really pleased with my Aldi cheapy, it was such a huge advance on my ancient Singer, I felt so excited at being able to stitch in reverse :lol:

I've read a few of the sewing machine posts and also the John Lewis guide which did explain a few technical terms I wasn't sure of.

Miffy: I read your thread when you first posted, I think it's what prompted me to start looking for a new machine. It's great to hear that you're so pleased with it, I always prefer to buy on recommendation by real people not just sales assistants.

Mrs WM: yours has been upgraded to the 760 and looks like a good machine too, it's great LMWW uses it, neither of my boys show any interest in sewing *sigh*

I've arranged to go to the shop next week and will have a play with all the machines but if anyone knows of one to avoid then that would also be really helpful.

Thank you :D

Well I went and had a play and was totally swept away.

I am now the very proud owner of a (hugely discounted) Janome Memory Craft 9700.

OH says I have to put it away til Christmas but I want to make lovely things for Christmas on it (material already bought :shh: ) so I might have to only use it when he's away. Which is almost til Christmas anyway. :dance::lol:

It is lovely, quiet and super-efficient. (Unlike me :oops: )

A fab choice , i have an Elna quilters dream and am very pleased with it , it is over 10 yrs old now and still going strong. If i was in the market for a new machine i would seriously consider the janome 9700 .

( But there again Janome bought out Elna a few years ago so bought there tech info too so a janome would be a serious contender.)

I have never regretted spending what was then a fortune on my sewing machine , it has stood the test of time.

I bought myself a new Brother machine last january and am really please with it. My daughter keeps borrowing it and I offered to buy her one for xmas. She kept saying no! - but last night I got a txt saying can I have sewing machine for xmas please!!!! So I ordered her a new Brother one too! (may have to "borrow" it if it's whizzier than mine) :D