Spinning Top

Porridge for the girls

I've seen a number of references to giving the girls porridge for breakfast when the weather gets really cold. Sorry to be thick but should I use normal / human oats (Tesco finest with fruit and nuts knowing my girls' luck), cheapo porridge oats / oatbran or layers mash? Also, do I mix it with water or milk? Thank you!

(Bluebelle) Scrambled, GNR Fried, PP Boiled, (white chicken) Poached

!eggspeck! (Still waiting for the others)

(cube green)

Edited by Guest

Through the really cold period last year I just mixed up some of their layers mash with hot water to make a 'porridge' first thing each morning - it never lasted long and they were getting something nice and warming that was giving them everything they needed as it was their proper food anyway. I think that's one of the reasons why I prefer the mash to the pellets as it seems a bit more versatile.

I always have a sack of pellets for dry eating and mash for wet eating........in the summer they are shut in with a serving of wet mash at tea time about an hour before dusk..........in the winter they have wet mash at lunchtime on workdays as dusk is so pesky early, and teatime on nonworkdays.....when the weather closes in & is throughly cold & nasty they have it for breakfast too............they see it as a treat, little do they know :wink:

If they are moulting, then some rinsed tinned fish can be added.......stand back as they realise or they will knock you on your back in their increased enthusiasm to get to the bowls.........sometimes they have extras added, raisins, wheat, corn, poultry spice, garlic, bokashi & other goodies.......when it's really cold or they're indoors & poorly they might get a bowl of ready brek...........crumbs, no wonder my critter sitters like me to write out their instructions :lol:

Of course they do have pellets available at all times :wink: