keyhole kate

Just to add insult to injury

For the first time since 2008 I have had to resort to buying eggs organic FR of course 8) as not one of my ten girls is laying I was getting one little egg from my Silkie however she has decided to go broody :shock: and is ensconsed in the nest box huffling and puffling at me and anyone who dares go near :lol: she didn't have the sense to lay an egg to sit on first :lol::lol::lol:

I've got 10 girls too. I'm down to one or two eggs a day at the moment. I can't tell who's laying them either. My Legbar only laid for one season and gave up, the other 3 pure breeds take it in turns to do either broody or moult, and I think most of the ex batts are now too old to lay regularly. I haven't had to buy any eggs yet, but at this rate it won't be long :?

I think I will be adding to mine in the new year and may have to rehome a girl that is just not fitting in with the flock but am giving her a while longer to see, but mine are aall relatively young I lost my old favourite girl cocoa :(

3 eggs from 7 isnt bad, I feel like a Meatloaf song :lol:

Yep, I'm on my 2nd dozen of bought eggs since I started keeping chooks. Last winter my silkie put about 4 eggs a week on the egg rack, but this year she's joined the others and gone on strike - she's even forgotten about going broody :o And I swear they are all eating more now than they were when egg production was in full swing. :(

I have only three girls GNRGNRPP and I am ashamed now that I had been thinking I was doing badly if they missed even a day. I have had three eggs virtually every day since mid-September and I realise now that they are an awesome threesome. I do know it won't go on forever, but I am very pleased with them.

spook is sooo fluffy and cute but sadly as thick as a brick :lol::lol::lol:

Yep! That's Silkies for you! :lol: I love my two to bits but Muggle in particular is very dense. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm pleased to say that since I got my new ex-batts in October, I've been swimming in eggs. :D But then again, I have got 13 chickens and only about 4 or 5 of them are laying. :oops: