bigmommasally

New Car - recommendations please

:? We had a Citroen berlingo multispace 2l which had a large boot area (big enough to take a therapy couch, folded) which I think would be suitable to take a wheelchair in. Also the boot floor was fairly low down so it was much easier to put a heavy object in it, as not so far to have to lift things up - if you know what I mean. The boot door acted as a shelter from weather whilst I was loading/unloading, as it opened upwards. A nice car to drive, with rear doors that slid backwards so much easier for passengers to access, and I felt it was fairly economic to run. Hope that helps. :?

If you can bear a car that (in my opinion) looks like a hippo, then the Citroen Xsara Picasso is the one for you. They are like a Tardis - massive boot and all the back seats can be taken out individually if need be.

I had one for 5 years until last year and it was the nicest car to drive that I've ever had :clap: . I was seduced by the paintball advert and traded it in for a Nissan Qashqai - nice car, but the opposite of that Tardis - massive on the outside and tiny inside (v. difficult to get a folded-up wheelchair in the boot - I know, I tried on Christmas day with my moms; had to fld the back seat forward :shameonu: ).

They stopped making Xsara Picassos in about May 2010 and you should be able to get one from that era well within your budget.

Don't know you'd get one for 8k, but this year we got a BMW 118d. It is extremely economical to run as it does 65mpg and has only £35 road tax thanks to low carbon emissions. We can get my MILs folded wheelchair into the boot just fine too, although it is one where the back folds down as well as the sides fold in. It isn't huge. Ours was 15k but only 6 months old. You should be able to get an older one for less money.

I have a berlingo and love it.....I have had it from New for nearly 7 years....boot fits loads ....and you could fit a wheel chair in without folding if required.....also fits 3 car seats across the back seat so lots of space for passengers..rear sliding doors are great and I would not go back to opening doors ao much easier in car parks etc..... :D

I wanted a Berlingo but didn't have the money at the time. They had good reviews on running costs. The other thrifty car I looked at was the Vauxhall Astra estate 1.7d they are real workhorses there are lots around which I think speaks volumes.

I ended up with a Mercedes A class which I really like as it has the advantage of being small but you can take the rear seats out so it becomes a little van. You'd get a wheelchair in it with the seats in but folded down

I liked my BMW 118d (recommended by Docsquid) but found the boot aperture too small so even though the boot is an ok size lots of things didn't fit in it

We have a Vauxhall Meriva diesel from Motorpoint. Bought it six years ago, second hand, with about 10K on the clock, tinted windows, front and back skylight things (you can tell I do not know much about cars!). We paid less than your budget for ours back then but they are still within your budget. OH has very bad back problems and the driver's seat can be adjusted in various ways. You can fit loads of chicken related things in the back, and we bought home the Classic and 4m of run in it (passenger seat down, of course, but boot seems quite big though would obviously check this for your wheelchair). Boot lies flat, so you would not have to lift out, could slide the chair instead?

Apart from tyres, most expensive repair has been passenger window whose motor thingy stopped working last year but I think that is an expensive repair whatever car you have.

Good luck.

My Mum has the Fiat Doblo - very roomy in the back with sliding doors. (Hers is red and we call it the postman pat van :lol: ) I would imagine it is cheap to run as otherwise my Mum wouldn't have it.

Another similar one to the Fiat is the Renault Kangoo - also plenty of room in the back.

I like these car/van type cars with sliding doors, come in very handy if you have an eglu to get in the back! :D

I have a mercedes a class like Redwings at the moment and agree with her review and had a vauxhall meriva before which was also really good, before that I had a citroen picasso and that is obviously the bigger boot. I would advise going t a large used car dealer armed with the push chair and try out boots :D

I have a Skoda Fabia - It cost under £8K and you can fit a wheelchair in the boot - it is cheap and economical to run and only costs £30 a year road tax. I have a diesel greenline which is the eco model. I got mine when it was 18 months old and consider it to have been a good buy. Definitely worth having a look at and there is an estate version too.

We have the Peugeot version of the Berlingo/Doblo/Kangoo - Peugeot Partner Tepee, it's got loads of space and plenty of room for a wheelchair and the low, flat boot area makes it easier to load.

We were lucky, we found an ex-demo so had the new style at a vast discount.

I liked my BMW 118d (recommended by Docsquid) but found the boot aperture too small so even though the boot is an ok size lots of things didn't fit in it

We have one of these too, and I agree, the boot access isn't brilliant, I'd also say it's quite low to get in and out of as well, which may not be brilliant for a disabled person, and the rear leg room is limited to say the least...doesn't bother us as mostly only me and OH using it but could be difficult if you regularly carry more people.

My uncle had a Meriva and the visibility in it wasn't brilliant...he got rid of his when he nearly knocked someone over :shock: and I've since heard a similar complaint from another meriva driver...

Have you thought about a Honda Civic, again a bit low to access but masses of room in the back