Sarah 2

They won't go to bed

I've had my lovely girls for 11 days now. They've had the run of the garden for about 3 days. They love it! :lol: When they were in the run they used to take themselves to bed at 8.30pm. Now they won't go to bed. I have to take them to bed every night. What do I do? :?

Sounds as if they have turned into dirty little stopouts! I expect they are just enjoying being out so much and it gets dark so late they are wanting to enjoy it all. Just keep putting them back in the run to keep them safe they will soon get into a routine and settle down.

Now they won't go to bed. I have to take them to bed every night.

Just out of interest, how long are you leaving them before deciding that they won't go to bed?

Ours normally get to free-range once we get home from work and they put themselves to bed any time between 8:30 and 9:45!

Rob

Mine go to bed at 9.15pm almost on the dot at the moment, but if I go out before 10pm to shut them in they come out again to see me. Even the "babies" in the Eglu are starting to do this.

I think they go to bed late because I don't let them out until 7am. Those hens that let themselves out at 4am must be exhausted before 9pm.

You might find it's a seasonal thing...

We have four girls that we've had for nearly two years.

In the autumn and winter, they always make their own way to the Eglu to go to bed...

But when the milder nights come along, three of them snuggle up on the rubbish bins outside the kitchen. The fourth will sit on the floor, waiting for the others, then generally gives up and goes to the Eglu on her own... We then go out and carry the three stop-outs to bed! :roll:

Then, come autumn, all four go back to the Eglu at bed time!

Will read all replies with interest as I am having the same problem with my 2 kids! they used to go to bed, but now they won't put themselves to bed. :lol:

Mine (children!!) climb into bed with me ( I like my sleep!) we have a chat and prayers & then they toddle off to their bunk bed! I get to stay nice & snuggly warm in my bed then, which is great, especially in winter :D

You might find it's a seasonal thing...

We have four girls that we've had for nearly two years.

In the autumn and winter, they always make their own way to the Eglu to go to bed...

But when the milder nights come along, three of them snuggle up on the rubbish bins outside the kitchen. The fourth will sit on the floor, waiting for the others, then generally gives up and goes to the Eglu on her own... We then go out and carry the three stop-outs to bed! :roll:

Then, come autumn, all four go back to the Eglu at bed time!

Mine go to bed at 9.15pm almost on the dot at the moment, but if I go out before 10pm to shut them in they come out again to see me. Even the "babies" in the Eglu are starting to do this.

I think they go to bed late because I don't let them out until 7am. Those hens that let themselves out at 4am must be exhausted before 9pm.

Alas no! Mine are still up and exploring, despite getting up before 3.30am (haven't a clue if its even earlier than that - I'm still in bed!) :roll:

I let mine out to free range today after 2 days and nights in the eglu+run (after losing Marie the other day!) I nearly panicked when I couldn't find them around 10pm. It turns out they're high up in a tree. I threw wellies and stuff up there to try and get them to come down, but they didn't. I know there is a fox around - that's where Marie went I'm sure, but what can I do? Can't catch them and after the welly-throwing they're not any more inclined to go near me. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but almost feel like it's their own fault for being so stupid! Next time they're anywhere near the eglu I'll chase them in there and shut them in and keep them there! Well, that's if they survive at all...

Mine are turning into "stop-outs" as well. Longest day tomorrow so maybe that's why.

Mine will stay out free ranging as long as they can get away with it. So I have to entice them into the run before dusk. Tonight (and a handful of corn later) I put them in the run at 9.30pm. As long as they are secure in their run I let them toddle off into their eglu whenever they want (I leave my eglu door open all night).

Mine are early risers. I've spotted them up at 5am but I've not been awake any earlier to check if they are up. This morning was DEFINATELY 5am. I awoke to loud squawking noises - the whole neighbourhood must have heard. They had spotted a duck in our garden and would not shut up until I broom-handled the duck out of the garden (it didn't seem to want to fly away).

Mine are turning into "stop-outs" as well. Longest day tomorrow so maybe that's why.

Mine will stay out free ranging as long as they can get away with it. So I have to entice them into the run before dusk. Tonight (and a handful of corn later) I put them in the run at 9.30pm. As long as they are secure in their run I let them toddle off into their eglu whenever they want (I leave my eglu door open all night).

Mine are early risers. I've spotted them up at 5am but I've not been awake any earlier to check if they are up.

Pleased to see others have this behaviour too - ours don't normally get out of the eglu until 7am when I open the gates for Neil to come in from work. With the long days I can hear they are up and trying to break out and then they all tumble over each other when I open the door. Some nights the eglu door stays open just because they keep re-emerging to see me if I go to shut it.

One thing I was wondering about - they have taken to napping in the run in the day - is this just because they are up for longer at the moment?