MissMoo

Introducing new chooks

I have been trying to introduce my new chickens to the older girls over the past couple of weeks, but they are still not getting on, and I could use some advice. I started off with them next to each other for 2 weeks then let them out to free range together. There was a few scuffles to start with but generally they seemed ok. But as soon as I try them in the walk in run together they older girls are continually pecking the new ones :( so after a while I take the out, but kept trying every day hoping it would get easier but no luck. Am I taking them out too quickly??? should I just let them get on with it??? or am I being to soft??? I have put extra food tubs down so they don't need to fight over that. I'm now unsure how to go on, so Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?

Well what I would do is divide the WIR so they are next to eachother but seperate for a while even though they have been in together. They can do their facing off without getting hurt.

Let them sleep together before putting in the run together. With my first introductions I divided the cube as well for a bit, not easy as they were always in the wrong place :lol: Have been braver since and haven't had trouble at night.

When you try them again in the run together put lots of obstacles in so when the new ones get chased they don't get pecked because the run behind something or jump up. I use flowerpots, branches, lumps of wood, a hen house, anything but make sure they are away from the edge of the run so the new ones can't get trapped.

When they first go together, be there and take some water to squirt at the oldies. A washed out cleaning container works ok. If you squirt the face at first it stops them in their steps and takes them out of attack mode, they just forget they were going to peck the new one. Then when they see the squirter raised they stop anyway and give you the evil eye :lol:

I also put food cups up at the level of the branches so the new ones can get food and water without being attacked.

Good luck

if no blood is drawn then leave them to it there will be some pecking untill the new girls earn their place in the pecking order. it does look worst than it is most of the time just keep an eye on them I find it takes a month or more for them to execpt each other or untill you notice that have excepted each other

Last time I introduced new chickens, I found it useful to have somewhere high up for them to perch and escape. They have an old wooden ladder across the run, about 4ft off the ground. Younger chickens can usually jump up much higher than the older girls. It gave them somewhere to chill out and not be chased and pecked for a while. It might be useful to give them some sort of perch (tree branch would work) that is just a bit higher than the older ones want to jump - it's less stressful for them if they have a safe place when they are first introduced. I think it takes a good 2 months before they are all properly intergrated.