LizzieLloyd

Don't want to count my chickens but...

... Hubby came home from work last night and said he'd been to the house of a lady who keeps sablepoots and he'd really like some :dance::dance::dance:

He had always said that once our current batch of girls had departed for the great coup in the sky that was it but we lost the first of our banthams last month and he was really upset by it. I didnt expect what he said last night though so its come as a lovely surprise indeed!

Does anyone have sablepoots? They sound very friendly and easy to tame but want to make sure they will be ok with my other bathams. Any recommendations?

Exotic breeds are all very well but they do have more things wrong with them than lovely ex batts. I have kept ex batts for couple of years now and they generally tend to do well, are extremely friendly, lay really well (most of them) and have fewer problems than some. Do think seriously about buying expensive breeds, why not give a loving home to some ex batt gals, you will not regret it. To see them almost featherless, bit scared, off lay to the bumptious friendly laying gals I have. I also feel they really appreciate their new home and being loved. They are hugely entertaining and they free range my garden, except for the few flower beds which they usually stay off with the little wire fences I put up to deter them. When I go out they all come rushing to the gate when they hear me return, they talk to you all day long, are terrific company when you are in the garden and will alert you when a stray cat has called and are generally wonderful. They only cost a small donation to get. Please give them a home if you can. Moonie (Bluebelle) Ewan GNR Laura GNR Summer GNR Lucy GNR Boo GNR Henri GNR Jo GNR(cube green)!eggbrown!!eggbrown!!eggbrown!!eggbrown!!eggbrown! a day! :D

Sapphichicks - I would love some ex batts but I have 4 lovely gentle bantams who would not take very well to some full sized girls coming in and especially as ex batts can have behavioural problems (understandably so).

Redwing - Thanks for the heads up about Marek's. Will make sure I look into breader before I commit.

Not enough - Will definately be getting more than one - I think I am due another 4 little puffballs :D May have to get another silkie and would like another pekin to replace my beloved Betty

i have a friend that keeps bantams[ she also has 8 ex batts in a seperate run] . She has three sablepoots that are all lovely and very friendly. She keeps them with silkie bantams and pekins and they all get on fine. I even got her a free sablepoot cockerel when I got my Nankin. I almost kept himself . Whereabouts are you, as there is a very good breeder not too far from me.

We have Lemon Millefleur Sablepoot bantams which are stunning and very friendly. They are a bit posh to push so aren't the best layers compared to my hybrids. The eggs are small but have large yolks and very tasty. Good luck.

... Hubby came home from work last night and said he'd been to the house of a lady who keeps sablepoots and he'd really like some :dance::dance::dance:

He had always said that once our current batch of girls had departed for the great coup in the sky that was it but we lost the first of our banthams last month and he was really upset by it. I didnt expect what he said last night though so its come as a lovely surprise indeed!

Does anyone have sablepoots? They sound very friendly and easy to tame but want to make sure they will be ok with my other bathams. Any recommendations?

Sorry, no ... but .... could *your* hubby have a word with craftyhunnipie's hubby and tell him that the way to a wife's heart is via her lifestock? :wink:

We are based in Bristol. Took hubby up to Annie Halls today to show him some new babies. Saw some beautiful Pekins. Was especially taken with the lavender and cuckoo ones. Had some sultans too. They looked fun! He was suitably impressed and has said yes but when the spring comes. Am happy to hire out hubby to give tips to other hubbies on keeping the wife sweet :D

We are based in Bristol. Took hubby up to Annie Halls today to show him some new babies. Saw some beautiful Pekins. Was especially taken with the lavender and cuckoo ones. Had some sultans too. They looked fun! He was suitably impressed and has said yes but when the spring comes. Am happy to hire out hubby to give tips to other hubbies on keeping the wife sweet :D

Sorry - not sultans - they were Sulmtalers

Sulmtaler.jpg

Anyone got some of these? Do they mix well with other bantam varieties?