cloud

I think we need a new microwave

Our microwave has gone bang

:shock:

There's a warning in this about not using a microwave when you're not nearby :shameonu: There is a bad electrical arcing smell now in the kitchen and if I was not there to stop it and blow out the flames it would have been much worse. The video is the second time - the first time I just heard the arcing. That's the beauty of phones these days - you always have a camera on you

I wondering about replacing it with a microwave with grill. Anyone know if the grill on a microwave works well or is it just for browning and crisping? Being able to cook cheese on toast without firing up the Esse (cooker like an Arga) would be good, for example.

You say the microwave is 2.5 years old. Do you have proof of purchase? As you might be able to get a new/refurb one from panasonic

I think OH kept the receipt, but I don't think I'm likely to get much luck with Panasonic am I? Usually microwaves only have 1 a year warranty. Have you had success with Panasonic?

Did the cup/mug have any gilding or metal on it? That could have caused the arcing.

The cup was okay and one we've used before. It looked like it was arcing inside the wall on the right. You can just see it in the video I think. I know what you mean about the gilding. I did once make that mistake with a plate and it sparked very nicely - not this microwave though.

You say the microwave is 2.5 years old. Do you have proof of purchase? As you might be able to get a new/refurb one from panasonic

I think OH kept the receipt, but I don't think I'm likely to get much luck with Panasonic am I? Usually microwaves only have 1 a year warranty. Have you had success with Panasonic?

Not with Panasonic, but other companies. The Sales of Goods act states: Items must be as described. It must be of satisfactory quality, sufficiently durable, free from any defects.

Our last microwave went down in a blaze of glory...well, black smoke and sparks! We had to dump it in the garden quickly and open all the downstairs windows in the house. It was quite old and I'd suspected it was ready to desert us.

We then had to BUY a new one :shock: as we couldn't find anyone getting rid of their old one. The previous three we'd owned had been given to us! :D

We had sparking with a cup I didnt realise had a sparkly rim cos it had washed off. Horrible - was a gibbering wreck after that for a while. OH gets stressed if his porridge boils over. What a mess. Ours was also given to us by the fishing club - no fish in it :lol:

The previous three we'd owned had been given to us! :D

We gave our old one to the in-laws, who then got rid of it because it was too big - can't blame them really, as it was monstrous, but we could have one with it now - and it was 15+ years old and still working fine. It's seems they don't make them like they used to.

Have been looking at microwave grills on Amazon. I think the Sharp or the panasonic look the best for us. Can't find out if you can grill with the door open. We often just put a frying pan under the grill to toast the top of a tortilla Espanola or melt cheese over an omelette. No sure we'll be able to do that with a microwave grill. can you grill with the door open?

My old microwave a Panasonic Combination caught fire, it was only about 3 years old. I didn't think the grill worked very well and the turntable was tempremental, it couldn't cope with heavy dishes at all and the defrost function was hit and miss.

I've got this one now:

http://www.whirlpool.co.uk/-[MAX-35-CRG]-100823/858703515960/

No grill but I'm very happy with it. And I love the way it fits into the corner and hardly takes up any room. :)

I've got this one now:

http://www.whirlpool.co.uk/-[MAX-35-CRG]-100823/858703515960/

No grill but I'm very happy with it. And I love the way it fits into the corner and hardly takes up any room. :)

OH saw that and thought it looked like a TV (and cute too). Being able to fit in to a coorner is a great plus and might even outweigh the need for the grill - we could always get a salamander grill at some point.

My combi microwave is a Panasonic - no probs with it so far. You need to have the door closed to grill and also be aware that the turntable still goes round when you grill, so you can't put in a dish that wouldn't have room to rotate (ie. a square dish!) so check you have a dish that will fit if you plan to use it for crisping/browning food. But for most day-to-day grilling jobs (like cheese on toast) it does a fab job! I also grill tomatoes on it when doing a fry-up, yummy!