Chortle Chook

I HATE my chickens

Love the blue hen Cloud. My new girls (only 1 left now) annilated the rhubarb leaves some yrs back and then I found out they shouldnt eat the leaves cos they are poisionous - thankfully they lived to survive. Sooo naughty - mine made hen shaped craters in OH's lawn - of course I blamed the cats cos they are naughty too. :whistle:

We had a deadish bit of garden at the bottom, so I fenced it in with a pretty picket fence, then savagely trimmed wing and tail feathers. Chickens don't come out of it now except for special occasions. They were such a menace, I still have no plants in places and they've been fenced in for eighteen months. To be fair, I haven't planted anything because I'm lazy, but there were plants there before the beaky mob got to them.

Thanks for the netting link, Plum. OH says we must go for that and be practical . . . but I'm holding out as I rather follow the pattern of Konrad Lorenze who had his wife sitting on a sofa in their sitting room all netted in so his birds (intellegent rooks and geese) could have full freedom :lol: . I'll give my pot towers a go and if that doesn't work I'll officially throw in the trowel, say the chooks have won and will get appropriate netting.

I had a very pretty, but small (20m), cottage style, garden but it seemed rather 'lifeless' to me. We are, alas, having a lot of new houses built round our little line of Victorian terraced houses, and the work which has carried on for nearly 7 years and has 3 more to go has scared off any wild life including any birds. Getting chickens was my antidote and I do really like them (despite the subject line of this post). They have livened things up no end. However, clearly, certain compromises have to be reached :think:

Last month we had work done in the garden and put the girls on the top lawn. This is a very mossy lawn and not really very good but the girls have done a wonderful job clearing out all the moss as well as giving it a good dose of manure.

Now the garden work is completed and they have their own garden which contains a climbing rose. Oh! I said to OH they don't eat roses, am now eating my words!!

Jackie