Seagazer

Recurrent ear infections

I know bog all about dogs, but was chatting to a colleague in the tea room about her dog which has had recurrent ear problems, smelly discharge, scratching etc.

On Monday the vet extracted the tiniest piece of lego from the ear, under anaesthetic. Presumably posted there by one of the children several ago and forgotten about. No-one has owned up. :lol:

Just thought I'd mention it.

An allergy or foreign body such as a grass seed are really the only other things that you need to worry about :wink:

Not necessarily and it would be good to get certain conditions ruled out such as

hypothyroidism or Cushing’s syndrome and whilst the dog is at the vets considering

the treatment so far is not working.

Also be careful on how many lotions different etc you put in the dogs ear as it could unbalance things

even more.

Did the vet treat for ear mites (they sometimes do this as a first port of call)?

I know bog all about dogs, but was chatting to a colleague in the tea room about her dog which has had recurrent ear problems, smelly discharge, scratching etc.

On Monday the vet extracted the tiniest piece of lego from the ear, under anaesthetic. Presumably posted there by one of the children several ago and forgotten about. No-one has owned up. :lol:

Just thought I'd mention it.

:lol: its been many years since lego has been played with in this house. Poor dog.

I would have hoped that when they flushed Cookie's ear out that they did actually look in there to see if anything was actually stuck in there :think:

I have just been using the ear drops (although now stopped re swabbing) and wet tissue/kitchen towel/cotton wool pads. I had been using ear wipes and/or CleanAural and tissue.

Interesting about the hypothyroid - just looked up some of the symptoms - she has gained 5 kgs, she's not as bouncy as normal (put that down to being off colour with the ear). Might all just be coincidental ie we've had winter and she's probably not exercised as much as she does in summer. I will ask the vet on Friday if she thinks we should have her blood checked.

Thanks all. :D

That reminds me (hadn't thought of this before as it wasn't to do with ears) I used to foster a greyhound which had to be on a gluten free diet (lots of hounds don't tolerate gluten well anyway) if he ate anything with gluten in it then he got a runny nose and itchy paws bless him. The problem was that the little varmint was always scrounging pizza remnants and stuff on walks so i have to walk him in a racing muzzle even when on lead to stop him doing this :roll: I guess it shows that allergies can show up as other things.

Just back from the vets. Cookie had her ear swabbed, results back in a week.

Mentioned to the vet about how concerned we were about her weight gain (its actually 3.5 kg since she was weighed in 2010). The vet did think this was a lot. I mentioned the possibility of it all being linked to something else ie thyroid. She said that she didn't think this was right as Cookie does not have any balding down her flanks or skin thickening. She didn't want to do the blood test. Hubby said that we would wait and see what the result of the swab said and then perhaps have a blood test done. :roll:

You would think that if the pet owner was requesting a blood test the vet would do it, if thyroid problems in animals are anything like they are in humans there are many different symptoms and not everyone has all of them, infact it would be horrible if you did.

It is unlikely to be a thyroid issue and contrary to popular belief vets don't like spending owner's money without justification. Testing for allergies and food intolerances would be money better spent that testing for thyroid function. The swab for sensitivity should shed more light on what is going on. It could well be a drug resistant pseudomonas or there could be yeast involvement. Poor old thing though, it must be pretty wearing for her (and you) :D

About 20% of dogs with frequent ear inflammation and infections have underlying food allergies. Your vet may recommend an exclusion diet when this is all over to find out if Cookie is allergic to certain foods. It's important to do these food trials correctly ... not just switch brands. The most important thing to do now though is to get this bout under control.

Well i'm pleased you see my way CM with the food intolerance but it would be silly to

put a dog with such problem on a food with additives and cereal in it that cost the earth

and could aggravate the problem more.

I would still have a blood test to rule out (as i have stated all along) other problems

as this is a recurrent.

Bacterial and yeast ear infections are frequently secondary to another cause.

Well i'm pleased you see my way CM with the food intolerance

:? I think you will find that I mentioned allergies in my very first post on this topic and have talked about hypo allergenic diets so don't quite know how that is 'seeing things your way'

What are you suggesting Cookie is blood tested for? The priority is getting Cookie's ear in a state that is not causing distress and chronic thickening of the ear canal. Blood tests are diagnostic, treatment is the priority here. I think that Cookie's vets are best qualified to treat her appropriately and have the benefit of having seen down her ear with an otoscope and have her full history. This is not uncommon, otitis externa is common in breeds such as Cookie's and so are drug resistant infections and atopy (not all allergies are food related) with resultant chronic otitis.