MissMoo

Polish Chickens

I have recently got 2 polish hens which are truly beautiful. But one of them is extremely bossy to the other one and is constantly picking on her :( I have hung up treats in the run like sweetcorn and cabbage etc but she still seems more interested in pecking her friend :wall: Any ideas of how to stop this, she seems a real :evil: polish hen. I don't want to put them in with the older girls till I can sort this out :roll:

This is the poor lady who is being picked on, she is very calm and friendly :)

PolishAmy.jpg

Yes she is lovely :D

Just a thought, you might find it sorts itself out faster if you start to introduce them to the others sooner rather than later :think: the mean polish will be too busy worrying about the others to pick on her. The others will share their 'attention' between the new two. Assuming you've had them long enough to know they're healthy, I would start letting them free range with your others. Take it slowly though, polish chooks can get picked on because they can't see that well to defend themselves.

I've got 8 Polish chickens including the twin of yours! I find they are quite "feisty" with each other and indeed, have to keep 3 separate from the others because one of them in that trio has been bullied to the point at which I feared for her life! And they are prone to be bullied by bigger chickens who love plucking out their flowing locks. They aren't the easiest of chickens, but very sweet - when they want to be!

You could try introducing both to the others sooner rather than later, but make sure you have plan B ready if it doesn't work. The vile smelling anti-peck spray has worked for me sometimes but not always.

Well I introduced them to the other girls over the past 2 days, and all seems to be good in the hen house for now after a couple of scuffles :D Let's hope it lasts!!! Now just have to work on Feisty Fizz and calm her down :roll::pray:

Thanks for the advice :dance:

I have found that my Polish girl (also a chamois) likes to give little pecks to my other chickens to left and right and for a bit the others (silkies and frizzles) refused to sit next to her on the perch. However she did no dammage to them and now everyone just ignores her and if they are on the perch just shuffle a little way away from her.

In all other ways she is just wonderful. Mad as a box of frogs, rides on our shoulders and talks non stop. :D