quickcluck

Hummingbird Bakery

Does anyone have these books and use/recommend them????

Someone mentioned it to me today and have had a browse online. Is it a book that is usable or just good to look at?

I enjoy to bake and oftern do cupcakes and stuff - although not very professional looking :oops::oops: so wondered if it would be a good investment?

Thanks

K

I have to say I'm generally not impressed by a lot of the Hummingbird Bakery books. I think they're just a bit overly fussy, and you dont always get good results. More is focused on fussy icing than actually having a nice cake. I'd go for the cake books published by Hamlyn for really good instructions and simple ideas for a novice-much better in my opinion.

We have it, but to be honest we have only really made the lemon cupcakes which are nice, but all of the recipes have a rediculous amount of sugar in them, must be an American thing. The icing recipes are useful, because there are quite a few different ones which strangely enough have less sugar than standard butter cream.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the sugar front bit. I have tonight made their traditional vanilla cupcakes. They taste disgusting, they are so sweet. The recipe uses more sugar than normal cup cakes. YUCK! My kids will love them for after school tomorrow I expect. But I won't be making them again.