speedqueen

red bottom!

Hi all, my lovely little Warren has still got a very red bottom area. It's not actually the 'bottom' it is the area lower. It was red and featherless at the end of last year, she had some antibiotics (given to all the girls) when one of my other girls got the snuffles and we thought if it was infected or anything this would help. But now the warm weather is here she still isn't geting any feathers back in that area and it is still very red. She seems well in herself, eating and drinking fine, not lethargic or grumpy, although she has only laid 1 egg this season. my vet isn't really 'birdie' and the nearest one that is, is some miles away. Will try and upload a picture if needed. Any ideas anyone please? thanks.

They can lose their feathers underneath for various reasons, the main two at this time of year can be to stay cool (as Plum said) or when they are broody. The feathers will usually grow back with time but if the hen is a good layer then she will be putting all her protein reserves into laying eggs rather than growing new feathers.

I'd suggest fortifying her diet with some Biotin (available from feed stores) extra protein (meal worms are good for this) and perhaps add a good poultry tonic to the water every now and then. Protecting the skin with something like Sudocrem is also a good call - it will soothe it and make it less pink and inviting to the others.

I would also suggest that you keep an eye out to check whether the others are pulling her feathers out - this usually shows around the vent and on the cushion just in front of the tail. Or that she doesn't have lice; hens with a bad infestation will pluck out their own feathers to relieve the itching.

thanks, i'll do that and check her for lice then. the other girls have been 'helping' her pluck the feathers on her wing base and chest, but she has had this red bottom since last autumn. Just dosn't seem to be any signs of regrowth there at all?