Space Chick

Eggs are fine a day or two after best before date

:lol: this comes up a lot on my courses; people are always astonished to know that supermarket are commonly as old as 2 weeks after lay date.

If I find a clutch of hidden eggs in the garden, I float test them to discard the rotten ones and the dogs get the others as they are usually covered in mud. :roll: it's worth remembering that the shell is semi-porous, so if the egg has got wet or damp then there's a chance that bacteria will be introduced through the shell. That's why we don't recommend that you wash eggs or keep them in the fridge.

:lol: this comes up a lot on my courses; people are always astonished to know that supermarket are commonly as old as 2 weeks after lay date.

If I find a clutch of hidden eggs in the garden, I float test them to discard the rotten ones and the dogs get the others as they are usually covered in mud. :roll: it's worth remembering that the shell is semi-porous, so if the egg has got wet or damp then there's a chance that bacteria will be introduced through the shell. That's why we don't recommend that you wash eggs or keep them in the fridge.

Prob is with my eggs they are always covered in poop :think: I always do the float test too, even the ones from the supermarket :D

Mine poo in the nest, so sometimes we get poo on the eggs....not very nice. 2 girls (the lesser mortals in the pecking order) sleep there....have poked and prodded them when they go in and a couple of hours later and they still creep back in after we have gone to bed. Have thought about blocking it off...infact I think we did and then had broken eggs on the rails. Any suggestions/ideas much appreciated. Incidentally OH gets up early @5am so that is when they are let out, so still eggs laid early or at least they were when we tried blocking it off.

I've found that the smallest size of tub trug fits neatly into the round hole between the nest box and roosting area in the cube; I just bung it in at night and take it out in the morning. Roosting on their breastbones instead of on a roosting bar will lead to bruising and bone damage, it makes them too hot too.