CheekyPekins

Ahem - newbie question about Flubenvet

I have just done all of the mixing etc... of Flubenvet into 2 kg of chicken pellets for my 3 girls and the instructions say that they shouldn't be fed anything other than the medicated feed for 7 days. Does this mean I shouldn't let them out to FR for a couple of hours a day for the next 7 days?

Sorry if it's a silly question :oops:

No not a silly question at all, it's something I struggled with at first as my girls FR all day. I kept them in all day and just gave them an hour of freedom at night.

However I recently had a scare where Henrietta became poorly and was diagnosed with a heavy worm load despite being wormed two months before. So now I have increased my worming regime to two monthly and they will be kept in forthe whole time. I feel bad about it as they pace up and down when they see me but I know it's for their own good.

Another newbie with another question about worming - my three chooks are currently having a worming treatment week -it is my first time doing it so I went for the treated pellets for ease but of course I am going to have a huge amount left at the end of the week .... The supplier mentioned I could " use up some of the rest " of the treated pellets mixed in with some ordinary pellets after the end of the treatment week.... Does that mean I can use up the whole load left ( about half a sack) mixed in for the next few weeks- is that detrimental at all ?? I know there is a really short shelf life on the flubenvet pellets but I don't want to waste/ chuck the rest away !!

Thats a really interesting question about free-ranging when worming..... its made me think! My lot are typical farmyard hens in that they free-range all the time over the farm and have no runs, just hen houses to be shut in at night..... they do eat all their pellets every day though.... so I'm presuming this will be ok and the flubenvet will be working ok when I've done their worming?

Thanks for the answers - I've gone for a combination of all of them! I've restricted the girls' FR to about an hour a day, in the evening and am not feeding them any treats or anything else... I've been letting them FR for a bit so I can clean the coop/run/drinker every day, so I'm hoping it won't interfere with the Flubenvet. Having said that, they don't seem so keen on their pellets when treated with Flubenvet! I'll see how we go... :)

My hens just wouldn't eat the premix pellets with flubenvet. They got so hungry that they started pecking each other and being generally horrible with each other. After three days I gave up and went back to the old way of mixing the flubenvet into their own pellets.

Right, next question... :oops: If they haven't finished all of the treated pelletes by the end of the 7 days, do I:

a) leave the existing pellets until they're gone

b) mix in extra to refill the grub

c) bin what's left and refill the grub with new, untreated pellets

Thanks for any advice

With my previous hens, they liked raisins so I dipped one in the Flubenvet powder for each hen each day and that was a quick, easy way. However, the present ones are not as friendly so I've been mixing the Flubenvet in with their pellets and if any are left at the end of the week, let them finish them off before returning to unmedicated pellets.