Guest Penguinmad

Anyone tried a Weed Wand?

I have a large garden and it needs a lot of weeding to keep it in shape. I have always been one for blasting weeds with as many chemicals as fit in the bottle of weedkiller but I am now a little worried about the chickens. The bottles say they are safe for pets when dry, so no problem there really

I can just blast away when I have put the girls in the run for the night. Just not sure really, none of my other pets seem to eat the weeds (cats) although the slugs and snails used to eat stuff I'd sprayed with weedkiller and live to eat the slug pellets.

At the moment its odd weeds in the beds, brambles springing through the shrubbery and a large area a the back that I'm clearing to seed with grass and plant "nice" trees in (it was full of confifers which I've had out - see my blog if you want to see more!). The back area has bindweed that needs blitzing in particular and has already been sprayed over twice without fully being cleared. I'm thinking this will be less of a problem when I'm mowing it weekly as it grows through the grass.

Anyway the original question was has anyone tried a weed wand - I've seen them on sale on the telly and in at least one of the local garden centres (which are many and varied - I live in Rettendon just round the corner from RHS Hyde Hall). But I've never heard from anyone who has actually used one. Do they work? Do you have to replace the butane loads and loads?

For anyone who doesnt' know what I'm talking about heres a picture and a link to one on sale at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harrod-Horticultural-Weed-Wand/dp/B000KP9GZU/ref=sr_1_1/203-3590030-5259954?ie=UTF8&s=outdoors&qid=1183810799&sr=1-1

We had one, which OH attacked weeds with but you have to stand so long to zap the centre of the weed enough to kill it off that you could have got a fork or trowel and dug it out in half the time! He has gone back to chemicals but I prefer the fork and trowel myself, it is a lot more work initially but if you are able to do it often enough it doesn't take so long and gradually less weeds grow as you can get more of the roots out. That's the theory but I have to admit, I have a large garden that is mostly overrun with weeds but it has worked for getting rid of the bindweed in the areas I've managed to do regularly.

So, really don't think the weed wands are worth the money but if you have a really large area to clear a flame thrower might be more effective but they are expensive.

I havent used a weed wand, but have used a little torch to scorch weeds and this has worked. Its a little hand held flame torch - sort you'd use for creme brulee topping (or soldering). I think its pretty much the same thing, except not on a stick so you have to bend!

I've got one and have used it. It is really good, the butane lasts a long time as you don't have to frazzle the weed, just a quick blast bursts the cells causing it to die.

They are difficult to use on a windy day and don't use it too much if you have the black weed supressing sheet down as it melts :oops:

Thanks all. I just gave the bindweed another spray and some of the brambles. I have noticed the chickens don't really go in the bindweed area, preferring the shrubbery in the flowerbeds and they definately don't eat the brambles.

Will seriously think about that weed wand though, there are a load of weeds popping up again in the beds where the chooks like to roam. I@ve already lost one chicken this week to an unknown death so I don't want to take any chances with the others.

I have one but have never really got on with it!!

The flame is always yellow and I often wonder if the regulator is not set properly. As I never use chemicals this appeared to be the answer but I went back to the rowel and knife method. If any body wants my weed wand feel free and I will gladly gve it to you. I live in Loughton essex! :D:D:D

I bought one last year from Harrod Horticultural and have never really got on with it................I have grass and weeds growing between the flag stones at the back and used this rather than chemicals because of the chickens it didn't kill the grass very well at all and it just grew back very quickly, so it is now sitting in the shed. I was actually thinking of selling it on ebay................. :lol::lol:

Hubby has one (well he has just about every to known to man!!) but to be honest I don't think they work all that well. They do burn and kill the stem and leaves, but the root survives below ground and the weed re-grows again.

I use a small one for the patio area, you only need to give it a quick frazzle. I now the root lives but, lets face it, the weeds come back anyway!

If you must use chemicals, try using glycophophate (Round up) as this is a systemic weedkiller which stays within the weed and breaks down harmlessly into the soil.

Helly Welly, we always use Glyphosphate - :D We bought about 6 big huge spray things when they were half price in Asda. My main clearing area has been done by the gardeners though. I said, get them to turn it over as I was happy I'd cleared enough to start putting grass seed down (there was a load of grass still growing there) and my daft Mother the note all wrong and instead of getting an overgrown area of the garden cleared today I have paid £50 to get the gardeners to weed my new bit of lawn! I wanted a 20 min dig on that area. The have also edged it beautifully to be a flower bed again :evil::evil:

Mum said she didn't realise I wanted to grass that area over - DOH I only mentioned it about a dozen times, plant a few fruit trees and grass the rest of the area over. I even had a big discussion with her the other day about could she get me some grass seed in Wilko's cos it's cheap there.

LOL - we are only paying the gardeners to clear the jungle that a beautiful garden has grown into in the past 6 years. From then on they will come once a month for a morning to hoe over and keep weeds under control. I just feel like I wasted a days money they seem to have spent most of the day working on "my" bed! I only wanted them to dig it over because I'm feeling soo tired and I thought it woulnd't take them long!!!

My MIL has one but shes only got a tiny garden and she's hit the age when bending down to weed isn't an easy option (getting up again after is well nigh impossible :wink: ) so she swears by it as the ideal solution for her. Hubby used it for the first time when he visited her on Sunday (had to try any new gadget :roll: ) but wasn't overly impressed, as he reckoned that it didn't work as well as the trowel and digging method. Don't supose that helps, maybe it's just horses for courses :?

Oh, and anything is better than the total neglect that our garden gets :shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kate - how could he tell just on a Sunday morning? The weeds don't look frazzled and it takes a few days for them to die :? He might change his mind later.......... :D

We've got so many weeds to keep on top of at the moment that the gardener who has been helping me keep the garden back at the house under control came here last night and we've had to resort to chemicals, but only on the gravel areas where I can't dig them up :? He uses a strimmer on the rest and I keep the kitchen garden hand weeded. I haven't really got any area in which to use the weed wand.