chocolatedog

Considering trying different hybrids....

Hi - having lost Spice II and knowing that Pepper II is a bit up and down at the moment, and dear old Ginger, still laying 3-4 eggs per week at age 5 1/2, is not likely to last forever (although all the signs are that she is thinking about it :wink: ) I was wanting to introduce 2 new hens. I don't really want another black rock type or Speckledy type (the former because they lay like mad for 18 months then seem to run out of steam health wise, and the latter because they're so greedy, and both Spices have had crop problems, and I don't want another repeat run!). I'm thinking of a Bluebell and a Sussex Star (light Sussex type hybrid.) Looking for pros and cons from anyone who has these 2 types! Thanks! :)

We have a Bluebell, Nellie, she's the naughtiest, noisiest and generally most unpleasant of all the chickens we've ever had - very unfriendly and shouts and hollers every time we go in the run. She's coming up for 2 years old and while she has always been healthy, still lays well and seems to be mellowing a bit in her senior years - I'd still be very reluctant to get another one - despite her good looks. We also have a light sussex type, Florence - she's also pretty flighty and noisy but nowhere near as bad as Miss Nellie. We love them both dearly despite their characters!

I'm afraid regular brown hens and Speckeldys get our vote every time - we're big fans of ex-batts too!

Happy chicken shopping though which ever you decide to go for.

I got three hybrids at the same time an isa brown (betty) an amber (anabelle) and a speckeldy (maggie) we have a multi racial hen house :lol: . The amber and brown have stopped laying three years down the line but th speckeldy still laying most days, she is really easy to handle and less flighty as she is a larger bird than the others. I think it's a bit of a gamble myself so I would go with the one you like the look of most. Enjoy your shopping

My bluebell was very shy/nervy. She didn't lay especially well (perhaps half the week) and died suddenly at a year old. She was very pretty, but I don't think I'll be getting another one

Don't have a lot of experience with different breeds, but I love my warrens :D

My Bluebell has outlived her ginger and amber pals, they all came together in August 2010. She still lays nearly everyday and her eggs are large with a blush coloured shell.

She is very placid and the only fault I've found with her is her liking for getting on top of the house and run which always makes me worried she is going to take flight. Also she's probably the most canny of my lot as she won't be fooled by treats if she thinks I've come to examine or spray them, whereas all the others fall for it every time :lol: .

Hiya!

I had a lovely Bluebelle (Bluebelle) Betty who sadly passed away last year... She was certainly the most timid of my girls, but not unfriendly. She became huge though - and I think her heart gave out as she died so suddenly.

I currently have my Dotty - a Sussex Star (white chicken) she's gorgeous! I adore her - she is such a sweetie with a lovely personality and lovely plumage. I also still have Mabel Satan chicken PP the Black Rock! she is the grumpy pecky old girl :roll: Rosie the Warren GNR and Olive the Speckledy (Bluebelle) .

I too adore good old Warrens as they are soooo sweet, friendly and inquisitive x

I hope you choose some lovely ones and remember to post some photos when you get them! :)

I have had Queenie (a bluebelle) for well over a year now and she is the most friendly of my 3 hybrids although always on her terms. She will let me pick her up but then she decides when she has had enough and wriggles and flaps until I let her go. Always comes to see what I'm doing when I'm in the garden though. My light Sussex (Dippy) is a bit more feisty and noisy and doesn't like to be picked up but does hang around me when I'm out with them. My speckledy (Mabel) is more reserved but that is possibly because she is blind on one side so is a bit more cautious. All three lay most days, decent sized yummy eggs.

It seems from reading other posts that it's not always the breed that indicates their friendliness or egg lay ing abilities but just the personality of the chicken you choose (or that chooses you!)

Good luck :)

Sorry for your loss.

I had a bluebelle, Delilah. She was gorgeous, and I miss her. Stunning to look at, and enormous.

I would also recommend a White Star/White Ranger. They are reputed to be very flighty, but ours (Lily) was wonderful. She would do anything for food (always on the go) and became very tame very quickly. She laid fabulous china white eggs. She was my most favourite girl. After a long wait, I've hatched an Exchequer Leghorn to try to fill her shoes.

I've also had an Amber Star, billed as very docile. Her name was Daisy, and she really was a lovely calm girl, very friendly. Excellent at limboing. If there was the tinies gap under the netting, she'd find it.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Chose a Sussex Star and a Bluebelle in the end, but was very much taken with the Buff Barred so I already know what I'm having next time! (Unless I splash out and get a Cube!!! Incidentally, with the Cube, can anyone tell me how far out from the Cube body itself the handle of the door comes out when the door is closed?)