Luvachicken

What can I put on my dogs moles ?

Our cocker spaniel, who will be 16 at Christmas, has a lot of those moles on her body.

She has a particularly nasty one between her eye and ear, which she loves to scrub into the carpet to itch it.

She makes it bleed and I feel quite sorry for her.

Is there anything 'nice' I can put on it to make it itch less ?

Thanks xx

Our cocker spaniel, who will be 16 at Christmas, has a lot of those moles on her body.

She has a particularly nasty one between her eye and ear, which she loves to scrub into the carpet to itch it.

She makes it bleed and I feel quite sorry for her.

Is there anything 'nice' I can put on it to make it itch less ?

Thanks xx

Just had a similar problem with two of mine, wasn't actual moles, but spots which caused one to scratch and make itself bleed. Vet gave them a course of steroids, and some Fuciderm Gel for topical treatment. It worked very well, because of their age, they are nearly fourteen, and also being littermates is probably why they had the problem at the same time.

If they are itching then best get them checked out; ordinary moles shouldn't itch. Are you sure they aren't ticks? I friend was showing me her dog's mole which had suddenly appeared; I yanked it out with my tick hook and showed her what it was.

Definitely not ticks.....embarrassingly when Daisy was a puppy I showed the vet a strange mole on her face and the vet said 'That's a tick'

They are called skin lesions I think.

They look quite scary.......a bit like a bit of brain on the skin of a dog.

She is very old now.......she has a lot of them, poor thing, but only this one on her head seems to give her any problems.

Thank you though x

Are they lipomas (fatty lumps)? Older dogs are prone to those.

It's difficult to say without seeing them but I'd take her to the vet for a diagnosis before you do anything.

Yes they could be called that, and she is old :(

I think the vet looked at them before, and said all he could do was make her comfortable.

I think she is too old for aneasthetics now........

The thing in question has healed over now and she has left it alone, but if she breaks it open again I will take her to the vets.

Thanks again x

They do tend to get lipomas as they get older; my last lurcher had them on her tummmy. They are usually rounded lumps of a slightly firm nature and don't seem to be attached to any tissue underneath. While the vet will usually leave them on an older dog, it is worth checking what they are just to be safe.

If she's in the habit of mithering them and they get a bit manky looking, then smear either Hypercal ointment or Camrosa ointment on them; both are good for healing and soothing too.

Thanks both of you.

The Dogmother, where can I get those creams you mentioned ?

Boots or any health food shop for Hypercal, Camrosa is available online. I have a multitude of this sort of ointment and they get used for humans and animals alike. Phil turned up for the weekend with lots of itchy harvest mite bites aka Chiggers (he lives on his folks' farm) I dabbed them with HyperCal and he took some back in a little pot to use afterwards.

I use Camrosa on my hands in the winter; I had v bad eczema on them as a child and all the steroid creams left the skin very thin and prone to splitting, I slather this on at night and pop gloves on. It keeps the skin supple and it doesn't split.

These moles or what are usually called 'warts' (even though they are not warts!) are very common in older dogs and often pop up on the face or elbows where the skin is thin. They are usually black and slightly pendulous. Dogs naturally rub them and tear the skin slightly around them causing them to bleed. There is nothing really that you can do to stop them. It is just a matter keeping an eye on things and keeping them clean without disturbing any scabs that may make bleeding restart. Creams and potions wont stop your dog rubbing them. They tend to be removed in older dogs if they become a problem with regards to the degree of rubbing and bleeding. You could get a shaving styptic pencil that can be used to stop the bleeding. It can sting a bit so be careful and only use it if you need to. If she is a very placid dog and she really is bothering them, you could speak to your vet about removing the worse one under local anaesthetic and a mild sedation.

Lipomas are fatty lumps that grow beneath the skin, they don't usually appear around the face and are not likely to be rubbed or worried at.