coco

Red Mite. A warning to be vigilant

After spraying my two houses for red mite I though I'd move the house and run the growers are in, not expecting there to be any nasties in it as it has only been in use two weeks. It was crawling with red mite, even the bedding was infested, no wonder the poor babies didn't want to go in at night. I feel really bad I didn't spot it earlier.

after hosing and poultry spraying the house the little beggars were still crawling so house is off to the skip. Babies have been powdered and now have the old rabbit hutch to sleep in which should be ok as it has been in the garage.

I feel slightly less itchy after a hot shower and hair wash. I HATE RED MITE. :x:x

Total sympathy here, I had the same thing happen to me!!!! Poor babies, it took me awhile to get it as I didn't realise the house had red mite because I'd blocked off the nestbox and that was where the redmite would retreat to durring the day!!!!

I think I'm getting on top of it, using total mite kill every 3 days!!!! But I think once the babies are in the cube with the adullts my coop will also be off to the tip!!!

You can't help but itch can you!!!!! Getting itchy just thinking about it!! :lol:

I bumped into someone yesterday who'd had the same problem, young birds seem to be a favourite target :roll: She's burned her old growers coop and bought a 2nd hand Omlet Go. I suggested that she spray it with Total Mite Kill Concentrate and powder with Buz Busters before she puts the little 'uns in it, then repeats every week when she cleans it out. The weather has been very mild lately so I'm not surprised that there are so many about.

While it's still warm, it's worth taking your housing apart, jet washing it, let it dry in the sun, then spray or rinse and powder as above before you put it back together again.