Introducing Dilys, Daphne and Daisy

We are now very proud owners of 3 gorgeous little Miniature Appleyard Ducks :D

Dilys

P1010563.JPG

Daphne

P1010567.JPG

Daisy

P1010591.JPG

It was only a matter of time before we got ducks and they are such wonderful little beings aren't they :D My Nan and Gramps had a Muscovy when I was a child and I've been spending the last few months deliberating over whether to get one but after lots of research, the decision was made to go for Mini Apps...and it was definitely the right choice :angel:

They're so cute and comical...but I still think the chooks are funnier :lol:

You can't see me right?!

P1010605.JPG

I'm just re-arranging the pebbles for you and no, I'm not eating compost at the same time! :whistle:

P1010601.JPG

Duck water tastes so much better though :wink:

P1010620.JPG

Ahhh, there's nothing like a good scratch

P1010616.JPG

:D Happy duck days :D

P1010559.JPG

P1010536.JPG

P1010630.JPG

They are gorgeous. I had two appleyards, Merlin and Maisie, when YD was a toddler. She adored ducks so we got some. They hatched 11 ducklings one year which was lovely :D . (That was about 20 years ago :oops: I have just realised. YD is now 21!) Lovely set up for them too. They are very lucky ducks indeed. xxx

Well done, Cheeky Chooky - somehow I just knew you would fill this gap in your gang :lol: They are very beautiful and it looks like their housing arrangements have been done with your usual high standards and artistic flair :clap::clap: . . . Still think you need a call duck or two though :whistle:

On the subject of ponds and duck poo . . . these small ducks don't poo much at all. In fact they are the neatest little beings - cleaner than chickens. What they do however, is to fill their water with mud. Also the little poo that they do seems to end up in the bath tub :roll: For this reason, unless you are going to have a very big pond, it is advisable to have something that can be emptied daily. Normal small garden fish type ponds are not usually big enough even for 3 wee duckies and get unsanitary very quickly :anxious:

Awww thank you Chrissie and Catherine :D

We've had to make a slight adjustment...to the inhabitants rather than the set up :roll: Dear little Daphne was not very happy and spent most of her time pacing up and down and quacking...very loudly :shock: Dilys and Daisy are quiet little things and Daphne just seemed to put them on edge. I got in touch with the Breeder and we returned Daphne to him and brought home another one of their nest mates...this handsome chap :D

P1010649.JPG

P1010677.JPG

P1010662.JPG

The girls took to him straight away...in fact Daisy was an absolute hussy but has calmed down :lol:

They're getting on like a house on fire :) probably because they hadn't been apart for that long and they're still young...so peace reigns again :) Apart from the chooks of course! :roll::lol: They put themselves to bed last night as well! :shock: so he's obviously a very good influence :wink:

P1010696.JPG

P1010740.JPG

P1010708.JPG

We haven't named him yet but we're working on it :wink:

I thought I'd post these pics too as they made me :D

A very sleepy Dilys

P1010666.JPG

P1010670.JPG

And Daisy just looking as cute as a button :angel:

P1010714.JPG

Oh my goodness me, they are so beautiful. Do you have your chickens and ducks in together? Also,your enclosure is so lovely, if you have any pics of your chickens and their enclosure, please do post them. I could do with some ideas and inspiration to pretty my wir up. Thank you. Very Jealous Clucker1 X

Do you have your chickens and ducks in together? Also,your enclosure is so lovely, if you have any pics of your chickens and their enclosure, please do post them. I could do with some ideas and inspiration to pretty my wir up. Thank you. Very Jealous Clucker1 X

Thank you :D No, they're separate. It wouldn't work keeping them together as the girls like to be dry and the ducks like it wet :)

Here are a couple of shots of my chook's WIR (had to make them smaller to get it all in)

IMG_6212.JPG

P1010224.JPG

And Catherine... :notalk::lol:

Fab and thank you Cheeky Chook. Think I will have a look into cabbages on chains especially for the winter. Is it metal or plastic chain from a DIY store? How do you secure the cabbages on? Do you have any plants in there? I have put a budlia in ours with the old cube plastic steps leading up to a perch,which so far only one chicken has mastered.

clucker1 have to say I just love your signature and the way you have characterised your chickens . . . but poor little Dimrose, I'm sure she must have hidden talents and perhaps she will be the next to master the steps :eh:

(P.S. I think chickens are rather brighter than duckies - or at least than my duckies and male duckies seem particulary challenged in the brain department but perhaps those lovely green heads don't need anything in them :think: )

Perhaps they are just nicer beings than chickens. :think: It is true that my Jemmima and even my Puddle do have their beedy eyes all about them. However my Walter - well, he just hasn't got it and even after quite a few months has not really got the hang of the ramp up into the water but tries to launch himself into the paddling pool from the ground, despite frequent instructions to the contrary from his dear wife. :roll: Perhpas it is just boy call ducks. I'd be interested to hear what you think once you have had your beautiful boy for a few days, especially as he does have the most magnificent green head. I can hardly believe he would have brains too - that would be too much from nature, surely :think:

Thank you Chubby Chook.

Cheeky Chook, Dimrose is DIM and very annoying. All she does all day is use her non existant authority to chase lovely Matilda. Meanwhile, Cluck who is Matron of the lot of them, watched carefully by Chief in Charge, Darthveda will peck Dimrose when she is having yet another go at poor Matilda. :lol::lol::lol: And, Dimrose oftenmakes a BIG racket squawking very loudly at nothing. If it wasn't that she laid an egg most days, she would be chicken pie!!

By the way Chubby and Cheeky Chook, are you related? Or is it just by name??