eggstatic

Cat Attacks

We have a new cat and she is fond of stalking our chickens.

I have read that chickens are able to fend off attacks but Daisy seems to become a little bolder each day and I fear that a nasty incident may be imminent.

Has any member had any of their chickens actually injured (rather than just 'upset') by a cat?

You haven't said whether you keep your chickens in the run or not.

I don't have a cat myself but we have 4 chickens and they can definitely stick up for themselves. The neighbours cat doesn't even dare poke its nose over the fence now. :shock: I would keep an eye on them when you first let them free range but I'm sure once your cat gets a sharp peck on its nose then she'll just ignore each other. It's probably curiosity. :lol: But I'm sure some cat owners will give you some advice.

mine was initially fine with them, and he enjoys just watching them, but sometimes he just can't seem to help himself when he sees them moving around. I catch him crouching down and wiggling his rear end in preparation for a pounce!

The one time I didn't spot him, he leaped forward - chicken did a vertical take-off and a lot of squawking and flapping, and cat slunk off looking rather embarrassed! Mine only free-range under supervision though, so I'm usually there to keep an eye. Most people say that the chicken will stand up to the cat and deliver a peck on the nose if necessary.

We have a new cat and she is fond of stalking our chickens.

I have read that chickens are able to fend off attacks but Daisy seems to become a little bolder each day and I fear that a nasty incident may be imminent.

Has any member had any of their chickens actually injured (rather than just 'upset') by a cat?

I have a very fluffy but not so cute cat who loves to catch anything that moves including a wood pigeon who was bigger than her! She is no threat to the newly arrived chickens though - she spent the first few days hunting them by flattening herself to the ground and then charging at them, only to discover that not only do they not fly away, they actually charge back at her!! Much to her digust now one our chicks, - Nugget - has taken a violent dislike to her and chases her off the lawn with a sharp peck on any part of her she can manage! I think your chicks will soon have her licked!

I tend to agree with others - your chickens and cat will soon work out who's in charge.

Trumpet occasionally tries to chase and catch them but soon backs off once they turn round and chase him back. He was ambling up the path the other day minding his own business and Greta gave chase for no apparent reason! Both him and Tigger keep clear of them now.

Rob

I would be wary, they are hunters and a neighbour's cat occasionally stalks our chickens. It has jumped at a chicken before and the chicken flapped off. Our full size chickens tend to ignore cats or just stand still on the lookout and act like sitting targets.

Not heard about an injury on the other hand. :?

Are they full size or bantams? bantams would be more at risk.

Hi All

I wrote on the forum last week asking for advice on cats and chickens and I'm glad to report that after allowing Charlie into the garden when the girls were free ranging proved to be an enlightening and amusing distraction :lol::lol::lol: Charlie - who I thought would be a pain and try to attack them all the time - was put totally in his place by Cup, who seems to have taken on the role of head honcho. She takes no messing from him and as soon as he gets too near to her or any of the others she chases him away. I certainly wouldn't leave then alone together in the garden but I have full confidence in my girls taking care of themselves :P:P:P

Cats have sharp claws and potentially could cause damage, I am 6ft tall and have suffered such damage!

However a chicken is generally to big a proposition for a cat as a prey item.

Cats learn this when when they pounce and the hens don't run as such, they just get out of the way, reform and then attack! whilst the cat is questioning his own toughness. The flapping panic of a startled hen is usually enough to put a cat off! as they are much more used to attacking things much smaller than themselves.

It is funny to see an aggressor chased out of the garden by a bunch of 'chickens'.

I am talking about domestic pet cats here of course, ferrel ones I fear would be a different matter.

Kev.

Hmm, not sure , I think ferral cats might be too wise to try a chicken!

At the farm we stayed on in Brittany, the chickens were extremely free range - living in an orchard, minimal fencing (non existant in places!) And they were varying ages, so not all full grown. There were also feral cats, but they never bothered the chickens! :D