Mercedes55

Advice on coat bought from Mango

Last week I bought a really lovely warm feather and down filled parka type coat from JL which is made by Mango. I'd been looking for a warm coat with a hood for ages for dog walking and just going out generally in the cold as I've been wearing my good wool coat and then had to wear a hat and scarf all the time.

Anyway at lunchtime I decided to go outside and clear up the leaves in the garden. Put my coat on, went to do up the metal buckle on the belt and it fell on the kitchen floor and it all fell apart. I phoned JL but they no longer stock the coat, even though I only bought it last week. They offered to give me some money off it, but I don't think they understood that it's one of those fiddly metal clasp type buckles that you can't replace so I'm going to have to take it back.

Mango themselves have their own website and they still sell the coat on there and I'm tempted to order again but obviously now second guessing my decision as to whether it's a product worth spending £109.00 on. I always find buying clothes to fit me a nightmare and this was the first coat I had found that had a hood that didn't come right over my eyes :?

definitely take back to JL for a full refund, they can't argue with giving you one especially as they no longer stock the same item. Then if you really want the same one order it direct from Mango, but obviously keep all the paperwork incase the same thing happens and you need to return it to them.

You will have no trouble getting a refund from JL, they are very good. I took my iPad 3 (5 months old) back last weekend as the touch screen was intermittently faulty, they replaced it with the new iPad 4, without a fuss, it was helped by the fact I had all the packaging. I hope you get your new coat in time for the chilly weather!

Echoing the advice to return BUT what a dissapointment :( ! All that hassle and angst - phone calls, trip back to the shop etc! Just soooooo annoying when that sort of thing happens :evil: ! Certainly should not happen with something that expensive :think: !

Still, its Friday night, have a glass of wine :D

Hope you manage to resolve things to your satisfaction!

Echoing the advice to return BUT what a dissapointment :( ! All that hassle and angst - phone calls, trip back to the shop etc! Just soooooo annoying when that sort of thing happens :evil: ! Certainly should not happen with something that expensive :think: !

Still, its Friday night, have a glass of wine :D

Hope you manage to resolve things to your satisfaction!

I'd love to be able to sit here and have a glass of wine, but sadly due to meds I take I'm not allowed alcohol and haven't had a drink for about 30yrs :lol:

Took the coat back to JL and spoke with a really helpful assistant there who took the belt and offered to swap it for any other belt from the other Mango coats they had there, but none of them were even remotely similar. She is now going to contact Mango direct and see if she can get them to send one to the store. If not I've seen they sell them in House of Fraser, but sadly don't have my size but I did contemplate getting one from there and swapping the belts over, but that's a bit naughty really :oops:

I did try to pop into Zara while I was in town as I know they are also Spanish like Mango and apparently sell very similar things, but even though it was 10mins before closing time they wouldn't let me in :(

I will now go and have a look on the FatFace website and hope that they sell coats for midgets :lol:

Well I've had absolutely no success at all with this stupid coat. JL have been very good and did contact Mango, but were told they had recalled these coats as so many of them had the same problem with the buckle on the belt. Funny thing is that you can still buy the coat on the Mango website and I even found out that House of Fraser stocks them too, just not in my size. Anyway no point in trying to source it elsewhere if there is obviously a fault with them. It's such a shame as I just love the rest of the coat. I've now ordered something similar to it, although not as nice, from Zara, so will see how I get on with that one.

Of course, it could be that the fault is just the batch that were made for JL,........might be worth asking Mango themselves about how many returns they have had (& HOF)

I have just emailed Mango and am waiting to see what they come back with. I didn't occur to me it could just be a bad batch.

I like it.

If you really like it, is the belt essential? Could you wear without or put a different one on it which would make the discount offered from JL worth considering. I say this as I have many items I love and either don't wear the belt or replace them. I am complimented on a work dress all the time as everyone likes the print belt I added to a plain black dress that had a horrid belt.

I like it.

If you really like it, is the belt essential? Could you wear without or put a different one on it which would make the discount offered from JL worth considering. I say this as I have many items I love and either don't wear the belt or replace them. I am complimented on a work dress all the time as everyone likes the print belt I added to a plain black dress that had a horrid belt.

I've spent nearly a week looking for a replacement belt and haven't found anything yet, but you are right it is probably the best solution. I've been wearing the coat everyday while JL have been sorting the belt out and I don't think it looks anywhere near as nice without the belt. The belt it came with was only one of those web belts with a gaudy gold coloured buckle which I didn't particularly like anyway. You would think it would be easy to find a replacement, but I've looked everywhere I can think of online so now I guess I need to try and look in some of the shops that don't have online sites. Not sure how long JL are happy to let me do this though :lol: