Snowy

Winter Quarters

Not sure whether or not it will be better for them, but we have moved the guineas into winter quarters today. They were in a double height hutch, the bottom floor is open so it can go on grass in the summer. It has been on the patio since the rains started as the lawn has been too wet. Trouble is even the plain stone of the patio was starting to look damp, and I felt really sorry for them yesterday evening with the wind howling around. So today we decided to move them into the greenhouse. I've moved them into a Ferplast cage instead of their hutch - it does give them a bigger floor space to run around on - put loads of aubiose down and filled in the bedroom area with hay. Have left the greenhouse window open a few inches and also the door, with a panel of weldmesh across the bottom.

It probably won't be much warmer at night, but hopefully it will be drier and less draughty for them. Plus All their feed and bedding can be stored in there with them, and it should encourage the kids to spend more time with them as they can go and sit in there in the dry and get them out for cuddles. Although it does warm up nicely when the sun is out, it doesn't get stifling in winter as it is surrounded by trees and only catches the sun in the late afternoon.

Hopefully this arrangement will be OK for them - please shout up if you think of any problems that I haven't anticipated! :?:)

Sounds good to me! :)

We used to bring out guinea pigs and quail (some lived together) into the side passage over Winter, think they do need to be kept dry as well as a bit warmer.

Watson the rabbit is still out on the patio in his eglu, might bring him into the house if he'll stop fighting with Sherlock, if not he can go in the side passage with the quail!

If I had a greenhouse I would have put ours in there!

We've just brought ours indoors tonight as I felt they weren't getting any attention, just the basic care. It's dark so early and grotty weather so the children and us just aren't venturing out. I've been feeling guilty about how little attention they've been getting (the piggies, not the kids :roll: ) over the last few weeks. I've also ordered a little handheld vac today to help suck up the bits that find their way out of the cage!

Well I went to work at 7am this morning and didn't get home until 7.30 this evening, so haven't had any daylight to be able to check up on them. Needless to say the family members who were home (OH and ES) never thought to do so either :roll: Good job I'm off tomorrow and can give them a bit of attention 8) At least they will have been warm and dry, not cold and damp :D

Has the Ferplast cage got a proper sleeping compartment as with your wooden hutch? If it hasn't, and if it were me, I would create one, stuff it with their bedding, and buy them a Snugglesafe each to put in there. Guinea Pigs are not like other furry pets, as they have hair and not fur, which isn't as insulating.

Also, because you leave the greenhouse door open, I think I would consider making the cage more fox proof, and I would definitely shut the door at night :)

Our two GP's (Whisky and Soda) were installed into their winter quarters at the end of November (I think). Sounds bad but the only place for them is in our kitchen where they live in an indoor rabbit cage. Our kitchen is unheated so there is no chance of them coming to harm from heat! However it is aways nice when I am chopping up veg and all you hear is the GP's squeaking in anticipation!

At least I know that they will be safe from the elements when they are in the kitchen! Even the cats ignore them now!

I hope that everyone's GP's have survived the cold snap without any mishaps :)

Ours have been great in the greenhouse! They have a cosy sleeping area which is well stuffed with hay, we have been shutting the door as well, especially over the last few weeks with the ice and snow, and only had the window open a crack for ventilation. It's quite funny to go down the garden in the rain and see them sitting in there, watching out for us! It's just a nice temperature as it is a very sheltered corner of the garden. 8)

I bought this cheap little plastic greenhouse and put the piggies in there with a greenhouse heater ... Hubby gave them cavity wall insulation in their bedroom in the form of polystyrene sheets :lol: Anyway, its worked, as the temperature in their hutch hasn't dropped below 7 degrees, and they seem really happy.

I felt really bad about putting them outside, as since we've had them, they've been indoor piggies, but OH came to the conclusion they were giving him breathing problems, so outside they had to go :( and at that point, I got absolutely determined that they were both going to see another Spring and Summer!

I wonder if spring is ever going to come up here. :? It seems to have snowed every day for ages. OK very little of it is lying but even me who oves the snow is getting sick fed up of collecting eggs, or walking up to collect child from the village school in blizzards!

I do feel for my two GP's as they must be fed up in their enclosure in the kitchen!

Rolll on Spring!!

Yes definitely roll on spring!

I moved my two boys into the back hall way a couple of weeks ago (their cage was in the living room before) so that they can start to get used to being cooler, the hall has no heating, but I'm beginning to wonder how long til I can put them outside again!