gonetoearth

Duck housing - Eglu?

We're planning to get some ducks in the spring, so we've given ourselves some time to explore this. The question is what kind of housing do you need to provide for ducks?

We've been keeping chickens for 4-ish years now and they're brilliant. Fantastically entertaining. So, the second question is how compatible are ducks and chickens. I wouldn't want to house them together but it would be nice if they could share the same grazing/outside area. We've a 'spare' eglu classic as the big girls are in a Cube so we were wondering if we removed the roosting bars in the classic (presumably webbed feet makes roosting a bit tricky) would it make suitable sleeping accommodation for ducks? I like the idea of them being safely away from predators at night and when we're not around.

Thanks

Julia

Hi, I think the classic would be ok for the smaller breeds of ducks, not sure about the taller breeds and yes remove the roosting bars, I use easibed or comfy bed in my duck house which they keep quite clean. My chickens and ducks all FR happily together and actually share a WIR when they are shut in, so far no problems, no intro problems.

I bet you are really excited, it's always nice planning new pets. The ducks are just as entertaining as the chickens and make me laugh all the time, mine are little busy bodies and became tame very quickly.

My ducks and chickens have separate houses from Flyte so Fancy but they roam about together all day. See how a duck can happily get right in with the chickens (Silkies and Frizzles)

DuckPuddlewithchickens_16-10-12.jpg

DuckPuddlewithDollyDill_16-10-12.jpg

this is my duck house - see no steps as most ducks can't climb ladders or steps. There should be no perches inside either. For bedding I use aubiose - same as for my chickens. I shut it up during the day to make sure the chickens don't get in and muck it all up.

Duckhouse_16-06-12.jpg

this is the chicken house which has a wee ladder the ducks can't get up so only the chickens can go in there at night.

ChickenDandelionemergingfromthecoop_30-04-12.jpg

My ducks and chickens have separate houses from Flyte so Fancy but they roam about together all day. See how a duck can happily get right in with the chickens (Silkies and Frizzles)

DuckPuddlewithchickens_16-10-12.jpg

DuckPuddlewithDollyDill_16-10-12.jpg

this is my duck house - see no steps as most ducks can't climb ladders or steps. There should be no perches inside either. For bedding I use aubiose - same as for my chickens. I shut it up during the day to make sure the chickens don't get in and muck it all up.

Duckhouse_16-06-12.jpg

this is the chicken house which has a wee ladder the ducks can't get up so only the chickens can go in there at night.

ChickenDandelionemergingfromthecoop_30-04-12.jpg

:shock: How on earth do you keep your garden looking picture perfect :?: My lot have a huge free range area as large as most gardens. I keep the chickens and ducks separate as the ducks make the chickens water filthy is a matter of minutes. What is your secret :?: Can you come and teach my lot manners please. :lol:

If it helps I have a gravity water container that the chickens and ducks both use, it's in the woodchip end of the run so doesn't get too mucky, then I have an omlet trough for water higher than the ducks can reach but the chickens have a brick platform to reach it, silly ducks haven't worked that one out yet.

The water trough in the garden is a totally different matter as the ducks dabble in it and make it muddy so I end up changing it several times a day, but that doesn't stop the chickens drinking from it. :)

Chickenshack - I think it helps that I have bantam chickens and wee call ducks - so no big feet to churn things up. I find that call ducks (as compared to normal ducks) are very clean little beings (though usless egg layers :lol: ). The chickens do poop on the path but if just gets swept last thing after their bedtime and sometimes in the middle of the day. The garden is quite small - (20m x 10m) so there is not that much path to sweep.

The duckies' bath is on some shingle and as luck would have it I live in an area which is incredibly free draining. It is uselss for growing most plants other than things like rosemary and lavender because any water just drains right out, but this is good news for duck keeping. :D

As for drinking water, I just use glugs, washed out and refreshed every morning. The ducks make the drinking water a little muddy but the mud tends to sink to the bottom and as my chickens seem to like nothing better than muddy puddles :roll: I don't worry too much.

Hi everyone, am a newbie to the forum, although I do have 9 Eglus! I have 4 chicken Eglus and love my girls, the eggs are scrummy, I also have 4 Bunster Eglus and my 16 bunnies love being outside in the spring/summer ;-) my latest Eglu is now for 3 rescue ducks who are coming to me this week :-) 2 are call ducks and 1 magpie ducks, all males. Can anyone offer any advice? I know to put straw in the house bit for night and to get a trug for water for bathing, drinking etc. How many metres of run do you have for the ducks? I have terriers so need to keep the ducks safe. Although I have had chooks and bunnies for some time, I am a tad nervous and excited about the new venture! Thanks everyone :-)

Hello Hunstermam - how exciting that you are getting ducks. :D I don't know much about magpie ducks at all (I confess I thought this was a colour of call duck, not a breed :oops: ) but I do have two little call ducks. They are neat little things and don't seem to require a lot of space or make much mess. However they do love swimming - possibly more than some other ducks like runners. I've found that the Argos clam shell sandpit (with the two halves put one inside the other to give added strength) is ideal for my little ones' swimming needs but I would not want to give them anything smaller than this. I'd make the swimming end cover about 1/3 to 1/2 of the run with 2/3rds to 1/2 for generally trundling about.

Ooo Freddie sounds like something exciting may be happening around you soon :whistle:

Kahki Campbells will lay you lots of scrummy eggs. miller30 has some lovely ones as pets and will surely be on here soon to tell you all about them. If not, then PM her.

An Argos clam shell will do just fine for their water. I found after cracking one as I emptied it, that if you put the two halves one inside the other it gives the duck pond a bit more strength.

I have been keeping ducks for 7 years and i use wooden houses never use powder on them and only poultry shield about twice a year and i have never had redmite in my houses and ive never known a duck to have redmite i know some people will say they can get them but i dont think they can as they are always wet and in and out of water i have had redmite in my chicken houses so i know what they are leanne :)