Lewis

Scaley/Crusty face?

Sorry the photos aren't great - I will try again tomorrow.

They are most definitely not kept in damp surroundings. They have a clean, dry, well ventilated coop which I poo pick every morning and clean properly once a week.

I will use the daktarin daily for a week and see if that has any impact.

Sorry to post again on this one but I'm still struggling with a skin problem on one of my hens.

I've attached some new pictures here:

http://tinypic.com/r/1z2h83c/6

and

http://tinypic.com/r/2znwo01/6.

As I hope you can see she has dry yellow scabby skin around the base of her feathers on her face and neck. She also has crusty skin on her face.

I thought it was favus. The other 2 girls had tiny white powdery patches on their combs which has cleared up with topical daktarin. I spoke to the chicken vet and be suggested washing daily with pevidine scrub (this is iodine which may explain the yellowness).

I have been rubbing daktarin in and have also tried johnsons scaly lotion, sudocreme and vertericyn. I think one of the last two made it worse. I have also treated with an ivermectin spot on.

I think she may be moulting a bit which may be coincidence. I haven't experienced a moult before though.

So has anyone got any other ideas? I'm not quite ready to give up on her yet and other than the skin problem seems fine .

Thankyou

I've not been home for a few weeks to check how Mabel is but that does look similar. I'm home this weekend so will check if she's still clear and let you know.

Have asked Anna (DappyChick) a friend of mine to have a look at the photos as they remind me of a chicken she was looking after and helped to clear up, last year :)

See if you can speak to Chicken Vet

Richard had a look at Mabel for me this weekend, he wasn't sure what it was but said it may be Depluming Mite - they're hard to transmit which could explain why the whole flock isn't affected

We often use vaseline over Winter to reduce heat loss by evaporation, which can lead to frostbite on comb tips, so I know that's not a problem. But it could well be a reaction to the baby oil, because their skin isn't the same as ours, which has killed the top layer of skin so it is now peeling off? Certainly don't use it again.

An even better product to protect against frostbite is one called 'Snowfire', which is meant for dry chapped skin in Winter. It comes in a stick form and needs to be kept in your pocket to keep it soft. Thank you to the Leghorn breeders club for that one.

Clearly few people have experience of frostbite. We've had it with straight comb breeds, cockerels and bantam hens. Our new boy in the top enclosure was suffering when he arrived and the whole of the back of his comb went blue, together with all his points. The next stage is going black and then it's too late. We took in a 'rescue' 10 years ago; little chap had been left out in a windy field and all his points had gone black. Eventually they fell off leaving just stumps. It must be a painful condition best avoided by early treatment I think.