chocchick

Free range egg sandwich in Hellman's mayonnaise

I saw a sandwich advertised as free range egg sandwich in HELLMAN'S mayonnaise.

Oops, as far as I know that is from battery hens. :doh:

(I'll look silly if I'm wrong :oops: )

Am I right? If so I'll contact the company. It sounded like they were proud of the fact they used quality ingredients and not cheap egg and mayonnaise. I did chuckle at their logic.

Hellmans use battery eggs as there isnt enough free range eggs for their products and demand is too small.......

Hello from Hellman's

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding Hellmann's Mayonnaise.

All eggs used by Unilever UK Foods are sourced from within the EU.

We have a close relationship with our European suppliers and our consumers can be reassured that their farms comply with all relevant EU regulations, which are acknowledged to be the most stringent in the world. They have recently been strengthened.

As part of our buying policy we work closely with producers to make sure the highest standards are strictly followed.

It is also important to highlight that there is insufficient farm capacity at this time to sustain support for the Hellmann's business with free-range eggs.

In addition our ongoing consumer research into this area shows that consumer interest in a free-range Hellmann's product is currently too small to support a free range option.

I hope you are reassured to learn that we will continue to keep both our

sourcing policy and consumer preferences under regular scrutiny.

Our intention is always to satisfy, where viable, the full range of consumer needs in the market place and this is reflected in the variety of the foods portfolio that Unilever markets in the UK.

Kind Regards,

Barbara Westwood

Customer Service Advisor

My reference number was CaseID#105880# just in case anyone would like to log their concerns against the same number.....

Hellmans do make a free-range version for manufactureres, not for consumers who want it in a jar! :roll:

:? Contacted sandwich people and pointed out there is an option and said I could put them in touch with someone for info on potential battery egg products (Any volunteers...? Buffie :roll: ). Will post on reply. I've moved to expensive :( fullfat :oops: organic/freerange options since finding out about mayonnaise.

Hi Ginette, have you checked the Waitrose jar as not all their products have gone completely free range, it is a work in progress. :?

Choccy can you forward details please. Is it a sandwich factory sandwich?

Thanks guys and gals

BBxx :D

Hi Ginette, have you checked the Waitrose jar as not all their products have gone completely free range, it is a work in progress. :?

I did check the jar and it doesn't specify. But my DD3 (then 11) went on a visit to Waitrose last summer and while she was there she quizzed them on using free-range eggs. She was told that all Waitrose products now use free-range eggs. So I assumed that even though the jar didn't specify, I was safe.

Am I wrong? :(:(

Sadly this isn't the case, been in contact with them very recently and although they are planning mayo next it isn't free range or barn. They are planning this next step but not yet fully in hand I am afraid. Who did your daughter speak to do you know?

Chilled and frozen are F R and anything with the free range egg mark on the label

Sorry Ginette :(

BBx

I have been buying Waitrose mayo as I thought all their products use free-range eggs.

Oh bother - I will have to ask them and check next time I go in.

I got my last jar of mayo from M&S which does say it uses free-range in all its products. Its quite nice but seems a bit 'runny' compared to what we are used to.

Ah thanks Buffie. Where did I get the idea that they only use free-range eggs in own-brand products then? I have been buying cakes from them as well. I wondered why it didn't say FR on the packaging.

I suppose I will have to start making cakes - its the only way to go.

They are going F R gradually, they had promised by 2005 but it hasn't fully happned yet.

Mayo wise, check out the BHWT newsletter as I researched mayo and dressings this quarter. Quite alot of nice mayo's out there. Simply delicious is organic mayo and quite a few others I've listed.

Waitrose is still my choice of store but I am in regular contact to keep the pressure on, as are CIWF. M&S use all free range egg, every product :D

BBx

Sadly this isn't the case, been in contact with them very recently and although they are planning mayo next it isn't free range or barn. They are planning this next step but not yet fully in hand I am afraid. Who did your daughter speak to do you know?

BBx

:(:( That's bad news then.

DD3 visited the local store and was taken behind the shop floor. I don't know who she spoke to, but it would have been local shop staff.

I don't like Simply Delicious mayonnaise. :(

BBx

:(:( That's bad news then.

DD3 visited the local store and was taken behind the shop floor. I don't know who she spoke to, but it would have been local shop staff.

I don't like Simply Delicious mayonnaise. :(

Spanks or Stokes? Bay Tree?

BBx

Waitrose Organic Mayonnaise uses free-range eggs. :D:D:D