Mrs Webmuppet

Tonsilitis

Ouch! hope it feels better soon, Lewis - another one who had them removed in the 1960s, but I was horribly ill beforehand for weeks at a time. Ice cream is definitely the remedy, unfortunately in those days we had no freezer so it was a rare treat!

My mother had several bouts of tonsillitis in her 40s, and when the last one occurred at age 44 the doctor said she had better have them removed. She replied that she couldn't have an operation, because she was pregnant. 'Nonsense Mrs X - I think you'll find it's the menopause' he replied. Seven months later I was born - and she never did have her tonsils out! :lol:

Glad everyone who has been suffering are starting to feel better.

I'm another child of the 60s who used to suffer regularly, the doctor always said 'next time she gets tonsilitis we will arrange to get them taken out', it never happened even though I continued to suffer and have on and off since. I especially get it now if I'm stressed out.

My DD suffered an awful lot as a child, much worse that I did. She ended up with a quincy one, and was almost hospitalised. She had hers taken out when she was 12 and even though she is most indignant that she still gets a sore throat occasionally its nowhere near as bad as having tonsilitis.

Lots of fluids always seems to help.