AndreaT

1st hatch question

Piper my aruacana/wyandotte cross has been sitting on a couple of eggs now since Tuesday. She's doing really well, getting off the nest a couple of times a day for food and to poo.

I've just received some others eggs for her to sit on which won't be able to go under her until tomorrow morning as they need to rest for 24 hours. Is the time between the two sets going to be too much? Should I remove the original two or is it ok to leave them? Ideally I'd like to try and hatch them if I can as they are from my own cockerel and hens, they'd be black australorp x gold laced orp bantie and one of Piper x with the bantie. Should be pretty birds!

I don't know what others think, but I'd say the gap is just a bit too long. The two eggs she's currently on will hatch 3 days before the 6 eggs you now have. That will be day 18 for the new eggs, which is a critical time. Your broody could get up to look after the two chicks and ruin the chances of a successful hatch of the six other eggs.

I'd be interested to know what others think. Redwing is a resident hatching expert, she will know for sure.

Andrew

I wouldn't recommend this: I had a space of 36 hours between eggs hatching when they were all set the same day. The first chick died because mum wouldn't get off the eggs to look after it. If you've already got 2 days between setting that could be a very big gap between eggs hatching under her.

I've had my no1 broody give up on a late hatchling that was 24 hrs later than the first one all were set at the same time as she's a experienced broody and mom. but when they switch from broody mode to mother mode then there's no going back