Gertie

Bees in my roof - update

Not quite sure what to do about this, or whether there is anything I can or need to do...I've looked on my local beekeeping website but there doesn't seem to be any information.

I have bees in my roof. I checked today & I can see them going in and out. Im not sure what type as it was hard to see but it definitely isn't wasps because I can see they behave differently & I can see the full up pollen baskets on their legs. Although I have not tried to look in the attic to see if I can see anything (not sure that's a good plan anyway?) Does anyone know if its very likely that bees nest could be collected and re homed if accessible? Are bees in the roof likely to cause any problems and when will they leave (we need a new roof soon). I would rather not disturb or harm them. I'd actually like to keep bees in the future once I've done a course.

There is a very active honey bee nest in a hollow tree a few metres away from out house that was also there last year so I'm wondering if maybe that has been the source.

Thank you for any help!

Edited by Guest

If they are bumble bees, then you may as well leave them unless they are causing you a problem. They will only be there for six or so weeks and then disperse. It depends where the nest is, bumble bees can be removed sometimes and placed somewhere else, but it may not be somewhere easily removable.

If they are honey bees however, then I think you will need to take steps to remove or destroy them, sadly. It's unlikely that it will be possible to remove the colony intact because they are usually inside the roof space somewhere. Honey bees will stay pretty much indefinitely once they have found a space to their liking, and while they may not be a problem at the moment, you could end up with honey dripping through the ceiling. Also The builders you ask to repair the roof are likely to refuse to do any work while there's a honey bee (or indeed a bumble bee) colony there.

You could try contacting your local beekeeping group to see if someone could help you identify them, but you may need a pest controller.

Thanks Olly. I really hope they are bumble bees then. I don't think I could bear to destroy them. I will try to contact some beekeepers then. I wonder if there is anything that could make them leave, a repellant instead of killing them? From what I could see it did look like different looking bees. The first one I saw looked like a small furry bee, but then 2 coming out looked like the non furry kind. I will have to get my binoculars out to have a better look.

The nest is loud. I can hear it when I am in bed!

I don't think that they are. They are definitely collecting pollen. I think they are bees. I'm hoping bumble bees. I haven't got my binoculars out yet. I'm trying to find a bee keeper to contact. Once I can see what type they are, I'll get in touch if they are honey bees. I can hear a lot of noise from inside but there's not a huge amount of bees going in and out visible from outside.

I know what you mean about the honey bees. I've watched the nest in the hollow tree and there are masses of them in and out all the time.

Ive stood and looked at the area of the roof they are entering a few times but there seems only a few going in and out. Nothing like the tree nest. We had a bumble bee nest in the compost bin last year and only a few went in and out. I

Thanks everyone. I called my local beekeeping group. They were very helpful and are going to come and have a look. They were very excited about the 'feral colony' as they called it, in the hollow tree. I will update when I know what they are and what I'm going to do about it.

If it wasn't for needing the roof done, I wouldn't be worried about it either. I would just rather not have to disturb anything. I spend my time stepping over spiders and depositing various bugs back outside in the garden on a daily basis!!