Cinnamon

Evocative smells

The Husband & I were chatting about smells yesterday,after he discovered that Amber Solaire oil, the dark low factor stuff, doesn't have the same luscious smell it used to have.

Its a smell I will always associate with hot summers with my Mum when I was young, as she used to slather the stuff on.

It just smells of summer to me.

Matey bubble bath has been reformulated & now smells different too :(

The smell of fressias take me back to my childhood too, as does the smell of a proper hops brewery, as there used to be one in Henley & when they were brewing it smelt amazing......sort of sweet & malty. There is no other smell like it.

The good news (well, not for my wallet....) is that I went into town today & just happened to try a perfume by Bobbi Brown called 'Beach' which smells just like that wonderful sun oil scent :P

I bought some, am wearing it & will see if Hubby recognises it when he gets home 8)

What smells remind you of happy times gone by?

This might sound odd, but the smell of menthol cigarettes! My mum smoked, and so I associate being read to, particularly my favourite Beatrix Potter stories, with the sounds and smell of her lighting up and then opening the book. I can still hear her voice now, which is both happy and sad for me as she died ten years ago.

Another 'happy' trigger is the smell of fresh mint, it was my job to go and pick some leaves of this from the garden to put in the pan with new potatoes, so it always makes me think of summer evenings with salad and corned beef :lol: I still cook my new potatoes with mint now.

Don't get me started; I am very 'scent triggered' :roll:

Miss Dior - reminds me of my grandma

Ambre Solaire oil - my mother used to use it

Scotch pancakes cooking on the griddle - my grandma again

Dogs' ears - reminds me of curling up with my grandfolks' spaniels

Eau Sauvage aftershave - ex boyfriend

The list is endless :oops:

Sarah, if you like the smell of that Beach scent, then try this stuff as it's along the same lines - it has to be the best body/hair oil ever and the smell is divine. I used some the other night and the next day at work one of the lads commented that I smelled 'delicious' :lol:

HB004029_R_H200W000.gif

Oddly enough I bought a dry coconut oil from The Body Shop last week, which you can use on your hair,face & skin & that smells yummy :D:D

I have to go to H&B this week, so will give that one a niffle too.

I too & very scent triggered. The other week a woman came to my till & she just smelt of 'something' I could remember - turns out she was wearing 'Charlie' perfume, which I used to wear when I was 14 :lol:

Either you or your ex/1st boyfriends were a very sophisticated lot - I remember Brut :lol:

A better scent remembrance for me is cut grass though - it reminds me of sunny days and long sunny evenings :D I'm quite partial to the scent of a hot horse or a stable yard as well, memories of childhood I suppose :roll:

My mum used to use Ambre Solaire as well, and I loved the smell. Just thinking about it now and I'm humming "so you can staaaaaaaay, just a little bit long-ger" (which is the song used to advertise it.)

Thank you for the recommendation on the coconut stuff. We have a H&B in town, so I'll pop in next time I'm shopping.

Many of my happy memories involve smells of one sort or another.

• When my wife and I were organising our wedding, we completely forgot the flowers at the reception. As we were finalising the arrangements at that venue, we were asked what the flower colour scheme would be, and our blank looks said it all. The venue was brilliant, and said "just leave it to us". As a result, after the wedding, we walked into the reception to be hit by a wall of scent from the stargazer lillies, and the smell has got me dreamy-eyed ever since.
  • As a child, my mother and father used to take me out for a walk quite often in the local countryside. Being Britain, many of these were on cold, rainy days (Sundays, almost invariably), and I was never particularly taken with the idea. However, on these days, I would return tired, cold, wet and hungry, to a miracle of forward planning that was an open fire and a big pot of mussel soup. A slightly smoky smell in a sitting room and the whiffs of seafoody soups are real comforters.
  • Throughout my childhood, my father was in and out of hospital as a long term result of a childhood illness he had. From my earliest memories, I still associate the antiseptic smell of a hospital ward with hope and safety, because that's where I almost always saw people going in ill and coming out much improved. Even now I'm old enough to know it's not always like that, the association remains.

Another smell I adore is the one you get for a very short time when it has been dry for a while,then rains.

I had a Demeter perfume (they do 'real' smells) called After the Storm which captured it beautifully.

The first thing I do when it has rained is go outside & take a big lungful.

I love the smell of the sea too, & am craving a day at the beach with its mixed smells of salt,vinegary hot chips, suncream & that Lilo smell, that we are taking a day out tomorrow for a seaside road trip :lol:

Hopefully there will be a nice cool sea breeze too :dance:

OK, this is a bit odd, but the smell that really takes me back is Barbie legs :shock::lol:

It just reminds me of the happy times I spent playing with friends and my dolls. The legs on Barbie had a really distinctive smell, as they were made from a rubber type substance so they could bend at the knee, and I'm sure I wasn't the only little girl who got a big kick out of opening a box with a new Barbie and getting that whiff!

I have come across other smells in the past which remind me of events and relatives, like germoline and aquafresh toothpaste, but unfortunately now have anosmia so cannot smell a lot of things.

Rive Gauche

I have 3 older sisters and we shared one giant dormitory style bedroom. One of them had a bottle of Rive Gauche, I can remember getting ready to go out at the same time, not necessarily together, and using the same perfume. It will always remind me of laughter and shared fun.

I'm sure there are other smells that trigger fond memories, they tend to take me by surprise.

I have heard that some companies will artificially add a smell to give the effect of a "new product". So for example if X designed a product that didn't need that smell, they would add it anyway, as that would be the consumer expectation.

Like a "new car" smell for example.

A better scent remembrance for me is cut grass though - it reminds me of sunny days and long sunny evenings :D I'm quite partial to the scent of a hot horse or a stable yard as well, memories of childhood I suppose :roll:

I love the smell of cut grass too, it reminds me of summers evenings on the farm when I was a child with my dad mowing the grass, leaving those lovely stripes that I have yet to master.

Chrissie

I also love the smell of creosote :D

I was once caught sniffing a telegraph pole :oops: it was a hot day and I was out walking with the dogs, middle of nowhere, when I walked past this telegraph pole and the waft of creosote just caught me.... at that point someone appeared out of the woods and gave me a weird look.

The smell of peat fires always takes me back to childhood holidays in Ireland. :D Similarly the smell of sea & sand

The smell of tcp takes me back to being little and my mum looking after me when I had a s"Ooops, word censored!"e or cut.

I love the smell of engineering workshops - the mix of hot metal and oil. I did a machine shop course out of interest whilst I did my a-levels and started an engineering apprenticeship during my degree. I loved messing around cutting up bits of metal and it was the only time in my life I worn nail varnish all the time (hid the oily fingernails :oops: ). I wonder whether the smell reminds me of that time of late teens when you are on the cusp of being an adult but no responsibilities :lol: