Lavenders_Blue

Catering for breakfast - ideas needed

Oh wise Omleteers, can you help me with some simple suggestions for catering for a breakfast?

Our church does a service once a month where we provide breakfast to everyone before the service starts. Guess whose turn it is next weekend?!

I'd guess we would need to do around 40 ish portions. There are no cooking or warming facilities in the church whatsoever (only a kettle for teas and coffees) so it will need to be cold food. And nothing too expensive if possible.

Any prep required I'll need to do at home the day before so the simpler, the better really.

Any ideas?

How about making some muffins - you could do some 'healthy' bran/seed based ones, rather than very sweet ones. Portions of cereal with natural yoghurt - or make cold oatmeal and fruit (it's a Scottish dish, can't remember the name*). See here www.theyummylife.com/refrigerator oatmeal. Or flapjacks and fruit?

*edited to add: Cranachan, it's best made the night before so it soaks in - I'd leave the whisky out though! :lol: And you don't need to use double cream, I have had it made with yoghurt/milk.

Ooh those ideas sound good. I like the idea of breakfast muffins - I'll take a look through my baking books and see what I can find. And some rolls maybe with cheese/ham for those who don't like muffins? (Although who doesn't like muffins? :lol: ) Then a few yoghurts on the table and a bowl of fruit.

Sounds good!

Love the idea of muffins.

What about a homemade granola. It can be done cheaply. I source my ingredients from aldi. Or a huge bowl of Bircher style muesli, I'm new to this but it's basically yoghurt with oats and fruit in it. Again it can be cheap if you use frozen berries. It has to be made the day before for the yoghurt to soak into the oats.

I LOVE Bircher Muesli - I make it myself at home.

However, I probably won't go down the route of anything cereal-y as it will require a mountain of bowls and spoons. Yes I can use disposables but I want to minimise mess and clearing up as far as possible. At least with muffins I can just dish out paper napkins. Thanks for all the suggestions though! If you have any other brainwaves, please keep adding them!

:) This is an idea for a future breakfast, but what about a "bring and share" or a team effort? You don't say whether anyone is going to be helping you, but -may I say that forty odd seems an awful lot for one person to cater for, especially with no cooking or keeping warm facilities at your disposal.

I think the idea of a bowl of fruit is a really good one, particularly with bananas - I often can't face breakfast but a banana involves no chewing :D Continuing on the baking theme, you could add fruity/oaty bars (like flapjacks but a bit more hearty and a bit less sweet) to the breakfast muffins and also tea bread.

I LOVE Bircher Muesli - I make it myself at home.

However, I probably won't go down the route of anything cereal-y as it will require a mountain of bowls and spoons. Yes I can use disposables but I want to minimise mess and clearing up as far as possible. At least with muffins I can just dish out paper napkins. Thanks for all the suggestions though! If you have any other brainwaves, please keep adding them!

Please can I have your recipe. The one I really like I buy :oops:

I agree about breakfast style flapjack or granola bar, yum yum yum

I use this Hugh F-W recipe. CLICKY

I don't put the seeds in and use spelt flakes instead of wheat flakes. I also don't squeeze the oranges myself but soak the muesli in supermarket orange juice - I use the 'not from concentrate' sort. I find 10 minutes soaking is not enough so I tend to either do it the night before and soak in the fridge overnight or make it very first thing and leave it to soak while I walk the dog (45 mins or so). Otherwise there tends to be a lot of juice still sloshing about in the bowl :lol:

It's yummy! :D