tinkkletoes

settling in Ex-battery Hens - advice needed

Hi all.

I would gratefully receive any advice on settling in Ex-battery hens.

I got two, a week ago and were in good condition and well feathered. of which settled in well and have already learnt all the usual things, laying in coop & coming & going to coop. I then thought I would rescue 3 more a week later.( from same rescue centre ) these were in a much worse condition. looking 'oven ready' in various states. the early ones took offence to the new comer's as I thought they would pecking and going for them, so have kept them apart for a couple of days during the day. though they did have to sleep together as only have one coop. a couple of days in and they are still being attacked by the first 2. I have bought anti pecking spray and today is the first day to see if it helps.

the new arrivals aren't as strong as the others and i'm scared that if they carry on it might be terminal for the 2 weakest.

they are on Ex-batt crumb food and two water drinkers in two different places. so that they had a hope to get food & drink.

I have kept hens before for a couple of years, so not totally a novice. but I am at rehoming ex- batts.

how do I get the 2 weakest to re-feather up and start to fight back / stand up to the other hens.or am I on a loosing wicket.

but any other advice on Ex-batts would be gratefully received

Hello there, we've had several lots of ex batts, in our last intake we had one oven ready, little birdie. I was worried about her for ages, she spent most of the time hiding in the coop away from the rest, and when she arrived it was the end of the year and chilly so not as much chance to free range. A few months on and she has all her feathers and although still bottom of the pecking order she hold her own! I would maybe try and keep them seperate during the day a bit longer, but at the very least have several food stations, as they can't be all at the same feeder at once! Also have some where they can escape too. I bought a couple of bar stools from a second hand shop land birdie still hops up on them now and again. Good luck!

The advice from the BHWT is to keep new hens separate for a good couple of weeks so they have time to get strong and used to their new surroundings without being bullied. Then as above start the introductions while free ranging or in a large fenced off area. Its good to supervise this time and a water pistol can split up any nastiness. I have found introductions can take as long as three months to get peace totally restored. Feeding them corn or meal worms separately but along the fence line can help so they learn to eat with each other but without contact.

Good luck