redhotchick

Late night snack injury

Whilst attempting to make myself a late night snack, I have stupidly sliced my finger so that there is a small flap of skin. I quickly put an elastic band around it. Initially put it under the cold tap, not sure that was my best idea. I've put a hydrogel plaster on, and I'm generally holding it in a raised position. It's hardly bled at all, not sure why. Perhaps I have the plaster on quite tight? It's all pink though, not blue! It's throbbing a little. I think it's time for bed. :(

I hacked in to little finger with a bread knife fifteen years ago while at a business lunch in Oslo. I can still just about see the scar it left. Surprisingly little blood for quite a deep cut from a fairly blunt knife - only had a paper napkin to stem the flow, so probably why I had a scar.

The plaster came loose, I had a look at it briefly before covering it up again. I wasn't tempted to meddle. It looks stuck down and shows no sign of infection. I am cautious by nature, I will keep an eye on it.

I am carrying spare plasters with me, nothing worse than constantly catching a cut, so making sure that I'm keeping it covered. I don't mind if I end up with a scar, hope there's no loss of sensation though.

I was using a mandolin, without the guard, stupid!

Cloud, "a business lunch in Oslo" very nice! I've visited Oslo twice. I really like it, as a tourist I find it quite expensive. Fifty quid for fish and chips and half a lager for two people! It was really good fish and chips though!

C&T how is your cut healing? I'm usually quite good with knives, blooming mandolin. Lethal weapon!

C&T how is your cut healing? I'm usually quite good with knives, blooming mandolin. Lethal weapon!

Flippin heck! A mandolin! I knew I didn't own one for a reason. I can't be trusted with the bread knife!

I'm ok thanks. All healed under the flap, and the flap has been "removed". All healed ready for the next injury - hope your better soon too!

I didn't have any superglue to hand, but I have every sort of plaster known to man! :lol:

I'm not sure what the difference is between a hydrogel plaster and a blister plaster, like compeed. I am using hydrogel plasters and they don't cloud up like the blister plasters, it's a bit see through, so you can see a little of what's going on. They seem to come off in a day though, unlike the blister plasters which usually stay on much longer. I got the hydrogel plasters in Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which. I would buy them again. They are hygienically individually wrapped. Really good for handbags or desk drawers!

It's healing we'll, I'll switch to using normal plasters and changing them a lot, not for a day or two though!

It is 3 weeks tomorrow since I injured myself! I had a proper look today. It's healing really well. I cut some of the dead skin off from around it. I could probably go without a plaster now, maybe another week, just so I'm not knocking it or catching it.

Please take note and learn from my mistake, don't use a mandolin without the finger guard!