LolaLayla

Clippers for dog grooming

I am sure someone here will be able to give me some advice. Lara my mini poodle has recently been to the groomers for the second time. I scissored her coat myself for the first year but then felt I should maybe take her to a professional. Although the lady is lovely and everything is open to view and looks clean poor Lara started shaking when I took her in and tried to exit sharpish. This is really not her normal behaviour so she must have remembered it as a bad experience. I am now think of trying to groom her myself again but getting the proper clippers rather than just using scissors. Does anyone else use clippers and if so what brand is best?

I had a similar experience with our poodle, she was so terrified at the groomers it was impossible to leave her and she trembled for hours afterwards. We did try a mobile groomer who came to the house, which was a bit better, and gave me a chance to observe how to clip her. Eventually I decided to try myself, and bought a cheap set of pet clippers, these may be fine for some dogs but not for poodle hair, they overheated and got jammed with hair very quickly. In the end after some years of spending hours using scissors,I bought a set of Andis clippers which were expensive but worth every penny, it has had a replacment blade as they do become blunt eventually. Sadly our poodle is no longer with us but the Andis clippers are still in regular use on our other dogs.

Thanks for your reply purple hen. I had wondered if it would be a waste of time to get some Wahl ones which I have seen advertised :? And it sounds as if it would be. Are the Andis clippers you have rechargeable? Do you think it is better to use some without a cable? Not really sure what features I should be looking for :?

I am by no means an expert and can only comment on my own experiences but I would look for a set of clippers with metal or ceramic blades which are removable, so that you can change the blades to get different lengths. I have a blade that cuts quite short for the face/feet etc,and one that cuts longer to use on the body. A lot of clippers have a fixed blade and plastic comb things that fit on to vary the length of the cut, I didnt find these worked well on my poodle. I haven't tried rechargable clippers, I would worry that you might get part way through a hairdo and run out of power.

I found it was difficult to decide what clipper to buy I read lots of reviews and talked to loads of doggy people, the names which came up repeatedly were Oster and Andis.

Thanks, I appreciate any advise you can give :D I have looked at reviews online for help too but do not know anyone who does not go to a groomer. Also as you mentioned poodles have a particular coat that some clippers do not seem able to cope with. I reckon if I go ahead with grooming her myself I will need to pay a bit more than I intended to get the right product. Thanks again :)

I have had a set of Wahl clippers for the last 15 years and they still work brilliantly. They have the set blade with plastic combs, and about once a year I remove the blades and send them off to Wahl to be sharpened. Funnily enough, I use them on my Poodle and have never had a problem with them and her coat. Perhaps there are different degrees in the quality of Wahl products?

Update - The Andis ones are one speed and are really great. I am in contact with the seller who is giving me grooming tips and told me what blades to buy for it :D I have given Lara a tidy up and her hair cut was commented on today...in a complementary way! So I am really happy with this purchase.

The clipping was quite easy to do and she was really relaxed with me as she is used to getting brushed, ears plucked etc

The clippers are quite quiet too. However she does have nerves of steel when is comes to noises as OH can pop a crisp bag and she doesn't flinch. Fantastic when the fireworks explode or in thunderstorms too.

There are some things that concern her. For example, for a while wheelie bins and drain covers were to be viewed with suspicion :lol: She is fine about them now thankfully :)