bluekarin

Dog goes nuts when people come to the door

Title says it all really. My dog, 16month old cocker spaniel, can be fast asleep and dreaming but if someone knocks at the door, she runs as fast as her feet will let her despite the laminate floor to get to the door, and barking the whole time. She does this for the post as well. I ignore her when it's the post and go and get it when she calms down, but not too sure what to do with regards to people. I shut her in her bed if there is a delivery or if someone knocks and let her out when she has stopped barking. Today however, my daughter let her friends dad in to pick her up, but didn't shut the dog away and she (dog of DD :wink: ) started curling her lip at him and really growling and was also dribbling. Was actually worried she was going to go for him. I will go back to shutting her away when the door is knocked and get people to ignore her again like we used to do, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Or if indeed what I am doing is the wrong way to go about things, can you point me in the right direction? Thank you

I'd love to be able to give you an answer to this, but after 2 years of owning Tango I'm no nearer finding a solution to the exact same problem.

I have read some great advice about giving a treat/chew (stuffed kong, or chew if a visitor is coming in) when someone comes to the door so that the dog is both distracted and also associates visitors with treats. Sadly Tango is already so hyped up by the doorbell that she's not interested in food, she just wants the person at the door to go away so we've not been able to work on that.

I will keep an eye on this thread too for any ideas, as at the moment we are having to manage the problem rather than moving any closer to resolving it.

Out of interest, does Neela also react to doorbells on TV? Tango does and it can get really wearing - you don't realise how many adverts have a doorbell sound until you have a dog who goes nuts at the door every time there's one on TV!

We have this problem with our Border Terrier Ziggy. We have a gravel drive and she can hear someone coming up it before we can. She starts whining and barking. We have now managed to get to a point where usually we tell her "enough" She still barks but usually we manage to get through to the entrance and leave her in the kitchen. Whenever we have any workmen coming to the house I try and shut her into the sun room before the time they are due to arrive. She isnt agressive - she just wants to greet them and fuss around them. We have tried treats and all sorts of things but she still does it - although after initially greeting them she now calms down which she didnt do originally. so it is slightly better, and she no longer piddles with the excitement!

I had a read of my dog bible last night - Jan Fennell The Seven Ages of Your Dog - and it appears Neela may still think she is the leader of the pack here. Apparently, we need to be saying "enough!" when she goes mental at the post and various other things which I can't remember currently. Will have a proper read today. But any suggestions most welcome :D

I don't think Neela thinks she is the leader of the pack - dogs don't form packs with humans (they're smart enough to be able to tell the difference :wink: ). If she's reacting for the same reason as Tango, then she's trying to avoid people she doesn't know entering her safe space (ie the home). She sees them as a personal threat.

Telling Neela 'enough' is fine, but she needs to know what it means. You could try teaching her a speak/quiet command so she knows what 'quiet' means. I can usually quieten Tango down with a gentle shush when she's barking at an imaginary noise outside (she's woofing at one right now :roll: ) but when the doorbell goes, I wouldn't have a hope as she's too wired to listen. If I shouted at her, she'd probably think I was joining in!

I think praise for calm behaviour is the way to go.

I have trained both of mine to bark at the doorbell, mainly to advertise that there are dogs in the house, but also as a doorbell warning when I am down the garden. Unfortunately, Ruby, who thinks she's the security will sometimes bark at slamming car doors and other loud noises - she's highly strung :roll:

I am making progress with the 'watch me' command and touch game to get her attention, and putting her into a 'settle' on her bed in the kitchen while I answer the door. The success I have with that really depends on how much time I have to be consistent with the training, but it does work when I do it.

Pauline Jackson at Pawsitively Dogs does very good courses and one-to-one training. LBB and I went on one with our dogs and picked up loads of tips.

I would get some help from a dog trainer on this one. You should be able to sort it but help will make it much quicker and effective. YOu can spray the threshold and doormat with a phermone spray (Adaptil) which may help but it wont be significant. It is really a training issue and a good trainer will be able to tell you the things that you may be doing without realising it that may be making things worse. :)