Egzandra

Left handed crocheters

I treated myself to a book the other day, it is called "100 bright and colourful Granny Squares to Mix and Match" - and it is a lovely book - full of granny squares - but no instructions for left handers. Luckily I can already crochet as I used the Crochet Unravelled book to teach myself and it was great. But it does annoy me that usually lefties are not catered for. (This is not the only book I have noticed just has instructions with the hook on the right. Most of the ones I have seen don't give lefties any instructions apart from perhaps telling you to "swap hands").

The other thing I have found out by myself is that when you are doing a cardigan or jacket and follow the instructions for say the right side of the front, you end up with the left side! No crochet pattern tells you that. :boohoo:

When my daughter was at senior school she did textiles - she is also left handed - but the teacher said she was useless at cutting out. When I asked the teacher if she had any left handed scissors she said no, so I asked the teacher if she had ever cut out with left handed scissors in her right hand. Of course she hadn't because if she had she would know how difficult it is for a left handed person to use right handed scissors.

So much for inclusion :shameonu:

I was doing some Christmas boxes with the students in school on Friday and one girl got really upset cos she couldnt cut out very neatly. I told her that they were "right handed scissors" and as she was left handed she was going to struggle as they are set up wrong for her. she swapped scissors and was instantly happier. luckily, I knew the girl was left handed :D

luvachicken, im amazed that your daughters teacher didnt have left handed scissors, I thought it was standard :roll:

Cathy

x

They are interesting comments, Luvachicken and Cathy. I sometimes work in an office where all three of us are left handed, so it is not as if left handedness is that unusual. I use left handed scissors, but whereas the other two have their mouse on the left I can use mine with my right hand, for some reason. My daughter is right handed, but strangely enough plays pool left handedly. I definitely think that schools should be geared up to providing left handed equipment for people who need it because it does make a difference.

I find it really frustrating being a left hander, I get moaned at at work because I hot desk and re-arrange the mouse , phone etc to suit my needs! Even finding a potato peeler , can opener etc that I can use is a nightmare. Both Mr W and LMW are right handed so I am out numbered. I have a rotary cutter for patchwork that is for left handers and right handers and it's bliss.

I had the other problem, I'm right-handed and when I was young somebody left-handed tried to teach me to knit, no-one, not even my mum, twigged why I couldn't manage it at all :? .

Several years later I taught myself and all became clear :lol: .

Dito my mum tried to reach me to knit and crochet without success and couldn't understand why I was hopeless :roll: did I mention my mum was left handed :lol::lol::lol:

:) I've heard the mirror suggestion before, it sounds ok in theory but it is not very practical. I suppose one could also photocopy the right handed instructions in mirror image - but it would surely be better for authors to provide the left handed diagrams when they are writing the book as lots of people are left handed. They would probably sell more copies if it said on the cover "Including left handed instructions".