Olly

The Great Declutter 2014

Oh dear, is it really January since any of us did any decluttering? :lol: I think some of the posts slipped into the 'frugal living' thread instead.

I'm on a mission - I'm always busy but this summer stress levels became high and I decided that since I can't change much of what I do, I need to simplify life a bit. For the last two weekends, I've spent a couple of hours (not the whole weekend) turning out the garage, Freecycling things that have been in there for ages and weren't being used, and building a pile to take to the dump. The feeling of freedom now I can walk through the garage without tripping over stuff is fantastic, and a few long-lost items have emerged, too!

It's hard to describe the difference something as simple as this had made but I'm sure this has had an impact on my mental state as well as making daily life easier (the garage is where wood, chicken feed and the freezer are kept so I go in there daily).

I'm now determined to apply this in the house as well, I went to help a friend at a boot sale yesterday and managed to shift some more clutter. I'm aiming for one item a day for the rest of the year. How are the rest of you doing?

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Olly!

Well done on your garage declutter, proof that a good declutter is good for the soul 8)

I am decluttering like a demon, just forgot to post about it on here :oops: My house is sold STC :pray: , and we are moving to a cottage, with low ceilings and no loft, so decluttering essential :shock:

I'm presently donating a couple of carrier bags a week to the local charity shops, including old linen which a local animal rescue shop takes and passes on to their kennels. I found a bag of old cuddly toys in the loft, really threadbare, holey and filled with wood shavings, they were that old. It was upsetting but I binned them. I've given a sofa to a friend, and have also unearthed loads of small animal drinking bottles and tanks that have new homes earmarked too.

I managed to empty the shelves in the kitchen a few weeks ago and only put back some treasured possessions. Afterwards, I couldn't tell what was missing, there was so much stuff to start with and lots left over :oops: ! Two boxes of knick knacks went off to the charity shops.

I'm moving on to the utility room next, just the thought is scary :oops::roll::lol:

I've been trying to help my mum declutter, which in turn means I've done nothing on my house for ages and boy does it show!!

Mum's given me quite a few things to Ebay - am I the only one who thinks that selling on Ebay adds to the clutter problem (I put things aside "for Ebay" and then find myself keeping cardboard boxes etc in which to post things when they sell. :oops:

Anyway, I've got to get on with it, I've decided I'll list something on Ebay once, if it doesn't sell, then off to the Charity shop it goes ... :anxious:

My garage is a complete tip, full of loads of junk I suspect, so it would be good to do that, a bit at a time would be easier to face then having a "let's sort the garage out day" (hopefully)

Bramble, I completely agree - I've fallen into the trap of saving stuff for eBay and creating more clutter in the process!

In the past I would have set a whole weekend aside and worn myself out doing it. I've been amazed at how much I've managed to do in a couple of hours, I still need a few more sessions but breaking it down into sections has been much less daunting. I'm sort of working my way down one side and up the other. My friend has just asked if I'll help her do another boot sale next weekend, so I'm going to be hunting for stuff to sell!

I agree about eBay I have a stack of stuff on top of the bookcases in my study and a garage full of packaging and boxes. I tend to eBay in October and November each year because things sell for more then and it helps to pay for Christmas. However, it also adds to the work at a busy time of year. :roll:

I have a load of stuff for the charity shop at the moment too, must actually shift it there, it is hard to park though and much easier with two people.

We've had a great few week decluttering......

8 sacks of clothes, bedding and towels gone to a charity supporting Ugandan orphans

3 charity shop trips with boxes upon boxes of stuff

2 runs to the trip

Several full recycling bins

We have hardly scratched the surface :shock:

However, it's great to feel we are getting somewhere :dance:

Another month or so in, and the declutter is still going well..... Slowly but well :wink:

We've had to be fairly ruthless due to our boiler dying and needing the store room empty for us to have a new one (frugal savings this year have half paid for the boiler too 8) )

I'm currently eyeing up my rather extensive DVD collection and thinking "am I really going to watch these again", I'm thinking they could be some pre-Christmas sales on a local buy and sell group on Facebook.

I also have a treadmill, a combined rower/cycle and a ski machine that need to be gone, as my exercise now is all proper biking (with a set of rollers to use with my normal bike in the house).

Hubby is getting as enthused as me over this too, which is great. To be honest, we don't need or use half the stuff we have but then stuff that we do need and use are hard to store (namely my band equipment, I have a full set if stage lighting as well as my basses, Amos, cabs etc!! And hubby has all his photography lights, backdrops etc)

Also my nephew and niece are asking to stay more, so I really need to sort out the spare room for them.